Quiltalong - 2022

I do like them in there but I have an odd sense of things. It’s hard to trust my opinion sometimes.
Who is it for, what do they like?

I am not normally a fan of images in quilts I like to make…I usually do the quiltalong blocks in one of two color groups, but in 2022, it was either this batik grouping or red, white and blue…this year, if we have images, I will do them as separate pieces…I am going to repeat a couple of blocks that I did in rwb that are more geometric patterns…I really don’t feel they fit my taste nor that of my friend’s.

1 Like

And I like the image blocks as a whimsical surprise in a quilt. It does depend on who or what the quilt is for. My living room and office lap quilts are stand block quilts. The BOM quilts are more showcases.
Every quilt I see on LC is fabulous and they always give me ideas for different color combos or patterns.
It comes down to ‘Does it look right to you and is it the look you are going for?’
I like the pillow idea too.

2 Likes

Agree…there are so many options…I am trying to get myself out of the headset that just because I made something I don’t have to use it in a specific project…it is like maker’s remorse or something…I have a few projects in my closet that I made in order to use up something and my gut told me not to use a particular piece but I did anyway…hence the reason it is in the closet! lol

My friend is much more into “order” and so I know she might not appreciate the whimsy…it won’t feel “right” for her either…but her sister might love the pillows!

1 Like

As I posted before, I am making a layercake flannel lap quilt for my SIL. Wonderful warm colors. I put it all together and I didn’t like something about it. Hung the border fabric up next to it and realized everything wasn’t working.
Well, it definitely was the border fabric, just too big a plaid to work, but I finally realized I needed to replace one of the large orange plaid fabrics well. Arggh. So I replaced with a smaller patterned fabric. Eight out of 24 needed fixing. Theres one more block that needs some love, but now I love it and ordered new border fabric. Whew.
Now my machine is squeaking, time for the repair shop.

Old view

7 Likes

Wow–I mean, both were fine, but the slight change just made it more vibrant…can’t wait to see what you picked for a border…well done!

3 Likes

I know the lighting is different, but breaking up the orange and yellow and really made a huge difference - the ‘glare’ is gone.

2 Likes

I’m hoping to get the 2023 Quiltalong up and running soon, but in the meantime does anyone have a suggestion for our January 2023 block of the month?

We will have one block each quarter that can be done using a paper piecing or traditional method. So for January we can go completely traditional or have a combo block. Any nominations?

3 Likes

This entwined star is really pretty, has it been done already?

I like this one too: Wonky Stars Quilt Block Pattern
Or this one! Confetti Star Block-Free Pattern! | During Quiet Time

3 Likes

wow–all of those are great…I did those confetti stars for a quilt block swap years ago…they were fun! I think I still kept a lot of star patterns because that is what @kbrison collected!

2 Likes

I love them all and I want to do them all. I think I will do a celestial theme for 2023.

5 Likes

That sounds fantastic!

I dont’ think we’ve done the Entwined Star block. It’s beautiful!

1 Like

Was thinking about you yesterday. Found a new star block pattern and thought about all the red, white, and blue stars I made for your charity quilts.

9 Likes

Hey there! I loved the challenge of finding new blue and yellow star fabrics for your blocks…they were so cheerful!

I still do the RWB blocks as well…mostly stars since they go to veterans or their families.

2 Likes

Kathy!!! :raised_hands: :tada: :confetti_ball:

That’s all. :smile:

2 Likes

KATHY! Ack, the girl and I say hello & send hugs!

3 Likes

@kbrison!!! So glad to have you back with us!

2 Likes

@kbrison,your name has been mentioned by a few different LettuceCrafters in glowing terms over the years. I would love it if you joined our quiltalong!

6 Likes

@Renstar, how’s your quilt coming along? Were you able to use your winter break time to work on it?

1 Like