Quiltalong - 2023

Paper pieced cat! I’ve looked at this pattern before, it’s so fun to se it done so colorfully.

2 Likes

That was a pretty cool video! I loved all the variations…some looked very modern while a few looked traditional! I can see using up all those 5 inch scrap squares I cut…the black would definitely tie them together, but I imagine you could also just use another scrap to make a super scrappy quilt!

1 Like

I could see reversing the order, a solid colour block with scrappy edges!

That is what she did with the white quilt in the video…I wasn’t wild about the quilt, but I loved the block. I am talking ALL scrappy!

1 Like

Oh ya, I totally meant different solid colour squares from the scrap bin with a busier print as the little edges. Scrappy all the way!

2 Likes

This is why my Feb BOM is not done:

She’s done and I’ll submit on Friday. So I have tonight and tomorrow to make a BOM!

I’m struggling a bit with 2023. I don’t have a theme for a quilt. That helps me pick colors and fabrics. I think I’ll just make the BOMs and see what happens. It may be a wild lap quilt to donate this year.

3 Likes

-I marionberries, offer Lisa’s quilt for my large personal finish.

This is a 48 x 62-inch lap quilt, but I’m entering as a large because of the multiple ripping out of unfavorite fabric choices, rearranging of colors, changing the border fabric, changing the piecing on the back, etc., etc. It is a lap quilt for my SIL and if she allows, my BIL.
Lisa is an artist and sensitive to colors, so we chose colors together and I modified as I went along because ‘the quilt just needed’ this or that. You know.
I planned originally to back it in regular cotton, but ended up with extra flannel (purchased and then rejected for the border on the front). Home machine quilting with flannel on both sides was a pain, a little ripping and re-pinning happened there too.
But we delivered it last night just before our first real snow of the season. It’s almost March and this is the first real snow (3-4 inches and melting already) we’ve had here in central Connecticut.
Enjoy!

9 Likes

It sounds like it will be nice and warm! The front looks good, but the back is my favorite! We just had a winter storm come through in Southern California and drop 4-5” of snow this weekend. It’s mostly gone now, but a quilt like this would’ve been perfect to fight the chill!

3 Likes

-I marionberries, submit this as my Current February BOM entry.

This was a mind boggler to cut out and layout, but it went together pretty easily. I like the results, but it’s rather fussy to cut out, too many sizes! I was miffed that she did not give a trim size for the HST, as mine never come out right and I always make them oversized when I have to be exact, and then trim. I figured it out. 2 5/8". The whole block came out a quarter inch to big. But I’ll deal with that later, my scant 1/4 must have been too scant.

First quarter goals: Flannel Goodness layer cake lap quilt. - This is Lisa’s quilt I entered for my large personal entry posted above.

11 Likes

Love these colours! Striking

1 Like

What a lovely quilt! I’m sure the flannel will make it extra cozy.

1 Like

Beautiful block!

1 Like

I know Feb is over but I found a few more FPP projects (and realized I’m missing some photos)

I pattern tested for TartanKiwi for several years, these are two I did for her …

This is my own design … the maple leaf is pieced and raw edge appliquéd to the white (I didn’t want the extra work of figuring that part out too)

15 Likes

The tiger is striking! And what a pretty maple leaf pattern!

3 Likes

Beautiful work!!

2 Likes

I just saw something in IG I hadn’t seen before - sewing an edge stitch (about 1/8”) around your pieced quilt top before making your quilt sandwich. Seems like a good idea for keeping the edge seams from opening. Do others already do this? I saw people on IG referring to it as a victory lap :joy:

4 Likes

I do it after I quilt but before sewing on the binding. For me, it allows for any shift in the fabric to go to the edges since I quilt from the middle out. I usually have to trim the edges after I quilt to even the back, batting and front.

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of this before, wonder why it’s done? The only time I back stitch when quilting is at the edges so they don’t come apart and because they’ll be under the binding.

2 Likes

@Cindy - Wow, those paper pieced blocks are so beautiful! The tiger in particular looks especially intricate.

@photojenn, I have never done (nor heard) of that ‘victory lap,’ but I have had some quilts where I forgot to backstitch on the edges and I can definitely see the appeal of having one final stitch to keep everything in place. I might use that in the future!

4 Likes

March Prompt
English Paper Piecing:
Last month was about foundation paper piecing, this month is about English paper piecing (EPP). After reading through multiple definitions on EPP, I think wikipedia offers the best definition - “English paper piecing is a method of patchwork where fabric is wrapped around fabric shapes made of thin paper cardboard or heavy paper. Once the shapes are wrapped and ready, the sewer will hand sew the shapes together one at a time until the shapes become an intricate design. The paper or cardboard is removed once the shape has been sewn to another shape on all sides.”

One of the shapes I see most commonly done using EPP is hexagons, but it works for other shapes as well, including diamonds, triangles, and circles. Create and share at least 2 EPP shapes this month.

EPP Tutorial (with a video)
How To: English Paper Piecing

March BOM -
Entwined Star - nominated by @Magpie
Entwined Star Video Tutorial

Also, don’t forget, this is the last month of our first quarter.

Quarter 1 Challenge
(January 1 - March 31)
Use your stash:
Fabrics that you couldn’t resist, patterns that called out to you - over time, we quilters tend to collect these things and build up a stash. Now is the time to use those items! Quilt something amazing using at least 50% stash materials.

5 Likes