"She Loves" Spirit Doll

Our church does themed art shows every so often. The theme is “Community of Earth” I made a Spirit Doll to donate, and proceeds go to the church. We have photographers, painters, quillers, quilters, and all kinds of talent participating.
“She Loves” is made from natural items collected from the harvest of Mother Nature and is recognized by cultures worldwide. Spirit Dolls are often adorned with charms, talismans, and amulets. Our ancestors have been making Spirit Dolls for healing and enchantment for millennia. The magick of these dolls is that they bridge the gap between the seen and unseen and connect us to our ancestors across the ages.

25 Likes

Gorgeous! I love her colorful sash and the beautiful earth orb above her head! This is a really special piece.

1 Like

This is so beautiful. I love how you included many elements that inspire me to reflect on my relationship with the natural world.

1 Like

She’s wonderful!

1 Like

She’s amazing! I’d love to hear more about the materials you used.

2 Likes

Love her popping colors!

1 Like

Every spirit doll is a work of love. Each one ends up creating herself as I go. The sticks dictate the shapes, the fabrics call out to me, and a face fits or doesn’t. I start with a theme, the seasons, the moon or sun, or a thought or saying. Then just start creating. I usually donate them for sale at our church and it is fun to see how each doll calls out to someone who cannot resist the call. The joy on their faces is worth it all.

Let’s see…

• Sticks from the yard with cotton padding and fabric strips wrapped to create her form.
  • She has little strips of paper tucked into her body, words like love, peace, joy, community, etc. Words that reflect my intentions as I create her
  • Her face is a modified moon face mold. The original was too flat and too sad looking. She’s still not smiling but looks more benevolent. Some moss and leftover scarf fabic surrounds her head.
  • Her clothing is a piece of lime green silk that I’ve had in stash forever. Mystery. And the shawl is one of my mother’s scarves, I cut and fringed a piece from the middle pattern. All beads/yarn/jewelry finds are from stash as well.
  • Now the world, oh my. This took many a strategizing brain session as I fell asleep. It’s a clear glass ornament with alcohol inks drizzled over and sealed with a clear coating. I stuffed the glass ball with a light fluff of polyfill to give it some substance and a cloudy feel. There’s a wooden dowel stuck up through the bulb and anchored to her body behind the head.
  • The bead netting was try number three with thread, beads, swearing, and fumbling fingers. Little beads everywhere. But I finally got them all threaded and tied on. So I did another coat of clear spray to set them a bit.
    I vacuumed up all the bark bits, beads, yarn clippings, and other debris yesterday. Put away a zillion trial beads, bits, fabric, feathers, and jewelry bits too. I can almost see my craft room!

I am doing a class in April and will be creating stages of dolls. I’ll write up a tut when the time comes. I had one on the old site, but it has faded into the past…

5 Likes

The magnificent amount of details you put into these is so amazing. Sooo great! I’m sure it’ll get scooped up by someone who will treasure it.

1 Like

This is so lovely. :earth_africa: :green_heart: :infinity:

1 Like

Gorgeous!!! That beaded net and the orb…stunning. I’m so glad you gave us some more details.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the details…I do think one is guided as you make a spirit doll…the materials and embellishments just seem to speak to you…you really poured yourself into this making…beautiful and meaningful.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the detail on the materials and your process. I was wondering most about the orb. It looked like glass, but that was seeming sort of impossible (not sure why…)

2 Likes

She looks so regal and ethereal. Truly a work of art!

2 Likes

She’s simply fabulous.

1 Like

:zap::rotating_light: Wee-ooo! Wee-ooo! Congratulations! Your terrific craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :rotating_light: :zap:

2 Likes

Beautiful work! The charm with the feathers is what draws me.

1 Like

Thank you!