Quiltalong - 2023

*Join the prayer flag swap and use a few pieces there!
*composition notebook cover
*tote bag panels
*scrappy zipper pouch

2 Likes

Oh, Flags! Yes! Beautiful idea.
Lovely abandonable affirmations.
Bits for bags.

1 Like

You guys come up with such good ideas! I still have a whole box of orphan blocks that I don’t want to use in a quilt…I can use some of these ideas for sure!

3 Likes

I don’t know what your intention for the quilt is, but if it’s a gift, you could make a simple bag to hold the quilt, which could double as a pillow slip.

6 Likes

I went to a quilt festival with @endymion today! And of course I had to come home with a treasure. This quilt is dated 92’, and at least two of the blocks are signed, by different women in different states. There’s a small cut on the back that I need to mend. I think I’m going to hang it as a wall quilt in our dining room once that’s done.

Here’s a block detail shot…

It’s not a quilt, but I also came home with a super cool driftwood basket. The wood came from the Mississippi River.

13 Likes

What a great find!

This morning I came across two tops for baby quilts that I made last December (scraps from the Dinoroar kids quilt ). I had just enough scraps for two baby quilts but I wasn’t sure who to give them to - it’s been hard finding charities willing to take them in my country, where quilting isn’t as popular, and I think most of our friends are done having kids.

But then I had a brainwave this morning. An acquintance I’ve known for a long time is treated for a life-threatening illness, in the same hospital that I am a patient at, in the same department. We visit each other in our rooms when we’re both in on the same day (my illness is chronic and not life-threatening, but still requires frequent treatment). Hospitals aren’t the best place to visit friends but still, it’s also nice to see a familiar face there. My acquintance is due to be a grandparent this summer. I’m thinking of gifting one to my friend the next time I see them there. They can either keep it for when baby visits them or pass it on to the new parents.

10 Likes

That is such a thoughtful idea. :heart::heart:

1 Like

I love the flying geese, by the way. As much as I didn’t enjoy sewing them myself, I do adore the way they look. And especially a rainbow of them!
The quilt you picked up is so special.

@Immaculata, that’s a lovely idea.

It’s a gorgeous day here, sunny but cool and breezy. I’m going down to the basement to play with scraps tho, even perfect weather can’t keep me away…

1 Like

It was fun to see you, and the items you got are both gorgeous!

@Immaculata, that is such a sweet thing to do.

2 Likes

Ohh @MistressJennie and @endymion at a quilt show, I’m jealous that would have been a fun day. And that quilt is fabulous

8 Likes

Right?!?

2 Likes

I can’t believe we’re already a week into June! The days have been getting away from me, so before any more days pass, here is our BOM and monthly prompt.

June:

Jack in the Box - traditional and paper piecing instructions - nominated by @Magpie
Jack in the Box - Coloring Sheet & sample layout

June Prompt
Quilt with templates:
Templates can be used in a few different ways when it comes to creating a quilt. You can create a template in a certain shape and make a patchwork quilt consisting of fabric pieces cut from that template, you can use a template for applique shapes, or you can even just use a template to stitch out fun designs when doing the actual quilting process. How you choose to use a template is up to you, but whatever way you go, we want to see the results!

Quilting Templates Explained

5 Likes

I am looking into the BOMs that @MistressJennie suggested, which include the rainy day block and woven star block. But, as MistressJennie noted, the lady giving the directions ‘uses the old fashioned way of cutting squares into triangles,’ rather than including directions for making multiple HST’s, QST’s or Flying geese in one shot. I have looked and looked for tutorials that use simplified directions that make multiple units at once, but I’ve come up empty. If anyone can find such a tutorials, please share. Otherwise, we can choose different BOMs or use the original links and I can also link to some charts with measurements and info for creating the blocks in multiples. Please let me know your thoughts on if we should proceed with the woven star and rainy day blocks as BOMs.

4 Likes

I’ve been a stalker here for a really long time lol. @Abbeeroad and @MistressJennie can tell you.

Anyway, maybe it’s time to move to a semi-casual participant lol. I’ve been getting back into piecing lately, trying to use up jean scraps. Not 100% sure what it’s turning into but the goal at this point is a lap blanket?

I am NOT a precise person, so I embrace that with my quilting style. But I think I’d like to play around with more than basic beginner level blocks…mmm maybe? lol

I have fabric scraps and I’m thinking I’ll just see about taking a stab at the block a month challenges and whatnot. Also, is it anathema to hate the quilting part of quilting? haha. I enjoy piecing the tops, but sandwiching backing and batting of a regular sized blanket through my sewing machine is a huge pain.

14 Likes

Oooh! I really love these eclectic blocks. :heart:

2 Likes

That looks so cool. The wonkiness makes it for me.

I hate the quilting part, I send that out to a lady with a $40,000 machine. Lol, I’m never going to enjoy it as much as she must.

6 Likes

I agree! The wonkiness is my favorite. If I were quilt shopping I would buy this any day over the quilt with perfect angles and alignment. The imperfection speaks to me.

3 Likes

I love the variety of color you’ve managed to achieve while sticking with denim! I’m with @Magpie, I tend to send out my quilt tops. I love the look that some have managed to achieve with free motion quilting, but when I’m already struggling just to piece the last bits of a throw sized quilt, the last thing I want to do is then wrestle the whole thing through the machine for quilting!

4 Likes

I looove it!! Can’t wait to see you play with the BOMs.

I’m so behind in the quilt blocks this year I might just wait til next year. :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

If you provide links to other multiple hst and flying geese tuts, then we should be able to adapt. Learning to adapt a pattern rather than blindly following directions is part of the process.

4 Likes