Quiltalong - 2023

So the book is now in my Amazon shopping cart, but when I searched it, I came across another book that offers instructions for creating quilt blocks in multiple sizes. I thought, ‘ooh, how handy!’ But then the cover reminded me of a card deck that I bought (I have the second version as well) and have yet to actually use other than to admire the quilt blocks. So, before I go buying more block books, I should probably use what I already have :laughing:.

9 Likes

How cool is that!

1 Like

I Edel submit this as my large item for this quarter

Finally finished something, I’ve been busy with other stuff and not doing a whole lot of finishes. But I do love a scrappy quilt and I do like the scrappiness contained in a border, I think it makes the scrapyness pop.

@AudiobookLover that is a very interesting quilt planner.

14 Likes

It’s like an eye-spy treasure hunt!

1 Like

I love all the warm-tone scraps, @Edel! Sashing really does make a crazy quilt easier on the eyes, and that shade of red is gorgeous.

I, tendstowardschaos, offer this pile of scrappy coasters as my small quarterly finish.

4 Likes

@Edel, your scrap quilt turned out amazing! Be sure to enter it in the Talk Scrappy to Me Challenge!

1 Like

@Edel , Scrappy goodness. The colors are so fun! Thensashing really makes the squares pop!
@tendstowardschaos , nice coasters, ravh one is a mini work of art.

2 Likes

Thanks for the nudge, I’ve entered.

@tendstowardschaos those coasters are lovely, the colours are great

3 Likes

Great colors on your quilt! You did a nice job of creating controlled scrappiness!

@tendstowardschaos, I love your coasters! I need to find time to make some as well.

2 Likes

I was making decent progress on my niece’s I-Spy quilt at the start of this month. I sewed on all the borders (an inner and outer border) and laid it out to assess/admire my progress when I discovered that it would not lay flat. There was a horrible ripple or maybe even multiple ripples that could not be smoothed out (and any attempt to quilt them out would have undoubtedly lead too further heartbreak). It was so bad that the only solution was to seam rip the outer borders and hope that they were the cause. Unfortunately, after taking the outer borders off, the awful ripple was still there, so I had to take off the inner borders as well :sob:. The good news is that the center lays flat.
I’m not sure what caused the issue. I’m using a cheap stiff quilting fabric from Joann’s for the thin inner border and I’m wondering if the inferior quality affected everything. I had the border clipped and it didn’t seem like I was stretching it when I sewed, but maybe I did without realizing it? I tried to find solutions to my issue, but I could only find info on how to prevent wavy borders vs a wavy center. I’m going to try the solutions though and hope they eliminate the issue. They consist of cutting the border strips against the grain so that they’ll have less stretch and measuring the length/width from the middle of the quilt and cutting the borders to that size before stitching (as opposed to my usual method of stitch on the border strip, then cut it to the size of the quilt). Oh, and I’ll be using pins instead of clips this time around and I have also trimmed and squared the center.
I really hope it will work this time around :crossed_fingers:. If anyone has any other suggestions, I can use all the help I can get!

6 Likes

@Abbeeroad, this pattern gave me very Abbie Vibes. Though I imagine you just randomly crumb piecing the blue portions, then making them into Flying Geese to become the mountains, rather than paper piecing.

4 Likes

Ooo…love it! I have several mountain patterns pinned, but not this one.

Some day I want to play around with mountain blocks for sure!!

3 Likes

I finally started sewing the I-Spy-inspired quilts for my grand nephews. I’m using the economy square block, and batch sewing them. I still have to cut the fabrics for the next layer of the blocks. But, I’ll worry about that later, once I’ve got this first round sewn and squared up.

9 Likes

Nuf said.

15 Likes

Cute!

Fantastic!!!

The kitties!!! See, this is why I want to learn to quilt. Amazingly cute cat stuff like this. LOVE this block.

2 Likes

Wish it was mine, saw this on line. But I may just do some thing similar. I found this block pattern easy.

I juat returned from vacation and have to go pick up my repaired machine. It’s not worth repairing the main issue with it, but they have done their best and I should get some use before replacing. But I worry I can’t machine quilt anymore. I wore the poor thing out!

2 Likes

Fantastic!! :smiley_cat:

Obsessed now with that cat block…

2 Likes