Quiltalong - 2023

I love all the greens!

1 Like

Beautiful.

1 Like

Both of those blocks look great, but the musical trees is my favorite with all those different pieces working together to create such a neat block!

1 Like

The months are flying by. I can’t believe October is here already! Not only is it the start of a new month, but it’s also the start of a new quarter! Before I do the drawing for our previous quarter, did anybody finish a goal from their 3rd quarter goal list? If so, please submit your goal list entry for a ticket into the drawing.

Also, are there any suggestions for an October BOM (or one for November or December)?

Quarter 4 Challenge
(October 2 - December 31)
Complete your project:
I think we may have had the same goal last year around this time. The point of this challenge is to encourage you to complete your 2023 quilt projects before the end of the year. Whether it’s a project you started some time earlier this year or a project that you’ve been meaning to start all year (I have more than a few of those!), the challenge is to finish it by the end of this quarter.

October Prompt

Piecing curves:
Drunkard’s path, double wedding ring, orange peel - all of these patterns involve piecing curves to create beautiful quilt designs. Curved patterns can be used to create something classic and timeless or something fresh and modern. If you haven’t tried curved piecing before, now is the time to give it a whirl. If you have tried it before, we’d love to hear any tips you have to offer and see you put your skills into action!

Tips, Tricks, & Tools for Piecing Curves
7 Tips for Piecing Curves

Goal List:
Please share your third quarter goals with us. You can earn an entry into the prize drawing for every goal you share and complete this quarter!

3 Likes

While checking out one of the links above, I ended up at the Color Girl blog. If you’re looking for inspiration, she has a variety posts on curved patterns. I think they all use her curve template, but there are so many neat patterns, it makes me want to order a template and get started!

1 Like

(Very aspirational) goal list:

• Start and finish Halloween tablerunner in time for Halloween
  • Finish repairs to the Dinoroar kids quilt so it can go back to it’s owner
  • Finish the animal butts scrap quilt top I made for a challenge last year (blocks need to be squared up and then pieced together)
  • Quilt the two tops I made from the Dinoroar scraps for a challenge last year
  • Start and finish Christmas wallhanging for Mr. Imma’s home office in time for Christmas
  • Finish the Christmas potholders that have been laying around, ready to quilt, for literal years
4 Likes

-Finish baby quilt before our friend’s eighth (EIGHTH) is born in November.
-I won’t get the ambitious project I have planned for my cousin completed by this xmas but I do want to use the cuffs & collars of my Auntie’s shirts to make memory ornaments for friends & family.

4 Likes

I don’t think I made any third-quarter goals. Too much happening in the summer to commit to anything crafty. Though I did complete my crazy lap quilt and donated to Laps Full of Love.
Fourth quarter goal list:

• Finish Flannel stash lap quilt for donation to Laps Full of Love
  • Finish my daughter’s lap quilt in time for Christmas. I need 5 more blocks
  • Make 12 ea of little birds, butterfly hair ornaments, and monster toothkeepers (6 ea.) for our church’s holiday fair in mid Nov. All from stash. And some ribbon magic ribbon wands.
  • Make a new dinosaur stuffie friend for my granddaughter’s birthday in early Jan.
  • Retire Dec. 31st and claim that Social Security! Finally.
4 Likes

I have not been doing much quilting lately…knitting and sewing have sort of taken over my to-craft list. But, after Halloween costumes are done, I hope to:

• finish the QOVF quilt top
  • make progress on the I-Spy economy square quilts
  • make a scrappy quilted project bag
4 Likes

I have two main goals for October:

1. Finish quilt for wedding --due date 10/25

2. Make Halloween project out of quilt block sent to me by our fearless leader, @AudiobookLover !

3 Likes

:tada: :tada: WINNER! WINNER! WINNER! :tada: :tada:

We had one person who participated quite a bit last quarter, earning the highest amount of entries into the drawing. Congratulations, @marionberries!! You are our third quarter winner! Thank you for all your participation!

:tada: :tada::tada:

8 Likes

Congratulations @marionberries !! And I just read you’re not even retired yet… imagine how much more you’ll be able to do when you’re retired :open_mouth:

3 Likes

October BOM:

The second picture is an alternate layout that can be achieved by switching the order of the ‘V’ units.

Energize - nominated by AudiobookLover
Video walkthrough for making the 3" block
This block is block 24 in the ‘Sewcialites 2’ quilt along. You can google it to find a variety of blog posts that feature this block.

8 Likes

Congrats @marionberries!

And great BOM pick @AudiobookLover. I love how different it feels just by reversing the flying geese.

Really, really hoping to be able to post 4 FINISHED quilts very soon. I have all 4 quilted and trimmed down. For the two memory quilts, I actually have the machine portion of the binding sewn on. I keep trying to get to hand stitching the back, but Ada’s been teething hardcore for what feels like a month, and she just doesn’t want to be in my studio with me to do it, and if I try hand sewing in the living room, she tries to grab the quilt, the thread, the needle. :woman_facepalming:

Now with the Scrappy Mail Swap going on, it’s making me desperately want to finish my 2021, 2022, and 2023 BOM quilts, all of which are just a huge pile of blocks waiting to become quilts.

5 Likes

Thank you everyone! And @AudiobookLover fun October blocks.

And @MistressJennie I applaud you for crafting at all with a teething baby. I feel there were years I did nothing but mend baby clothes.

3 Likes

Poor kiddo was slow to have teeth come in, and now it seems like she’s playing catchup. She’s had 2 molars come in over two weeks.

2 Likes

Now that the weather is a bit cooler, and because I got to play with my fabrics…I, also, have the urge to make all the quilt blocks or use them up!

5 Likes

-I MistressJennie, offer my Scrap-Busting Diamond Trip Quilt for my Medium challenge entry.

11 Likes

Beautiful and I love the miniature human for scale. Makes it look even bigger! Congrats on finishing!

4 Likes

She’s gotten so big!

Lovely quilt

1 Like