Quiltalong - 2023

awww–that is sweet, too…I hate seeing children in distress! Anything we can do to comfort them now will make life easier for them later.

I almost would rather donate or give something away than to see it sold for so cheap!

2 Likes

Yes, thank you so much @AudiobookLover for taking this over and keeping it running strong.

My husband has been talking more often about expanding our house and we have a plan we like that includes moving the kitchen and making that space my craft room. But…that is still years down the road.

Maybe he’ll work in the office during the summer and I’ll hone back in on my now dusty quilting skills.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for saying this. There are a lot of times when I fall behind and feel like I should be doing a better job, so I really appreciate your kind words.

@Lynx, I’m so glad you came up with idea for the Quiltalong and asked me to help you run it! I had been wishing for a quilty corner here on LC, but had no idea how to make that happen. Your idea to start this craftalong was brilliant!

9 Likes

Today has gotten away from me and I didn’t get a chance to get the 2024 Quiltalong up, but I will soon! I will also tally up all of the drawing entries and announce the 4th quarter winner, so be on the lookout!

7 Likes

You have done a marvelous job. I love LC because there is such much flexibility and allowance for personal stuff that just happens in life. No worries…I look forward to seeing everyone in this special group in 2024!

3 Likes

Thank you so much for doing this again @AudiobookLover! I am so excited to try, scratch that, TO QUILT this year. I think this is just the motivation I need. Plus, I can ask questions. I am sure I will have a bunch of questions. Ha!

5 Likes

I’ve found a charity organisation to quilt for! It’s a national organisation and they have given away more than 3000 quilts already, mostly to people living in assisted living facilities, but they can be requested for anyone who is vulnerable or suffering from mental or physical health issues. Recently they sent a bunch to people who lived in an apartment building for seniors that was destroyed by flooding. Most of the quilts they’ve sent to people are a lot more traditional and “grown up” than what I tend to make. But recipients can pick their own quilt, maybe some like more non-traditional and colourful designs.

9 Likes

That’s wonderful!

1 Like

That’s fantastic, it would have hurt my heart for you to make a quilt and have it sold for €3

3 Likes

I feel the same way. I will donate quilts, but if I am selling, then I want a fair price.

4 Likes

I got two of the five kids quilts bound today, and pieced the bindings for the other three.

6 Likes

I suppose the whole idea of the charity shop is to keep prices low so even people on low incomes can afford them. It makes sense in a way but in that case I’d rather just give them away for free.

3 Likes

The charity shop prices have gotten ridiculous here. I used to love shopping there, but recently I’ve seen average dresses for €40, dirty kids trainers for €10 a pair of cut glass champagne flutes for €100!!! Everything is vintage and it’s definitely not for people on low incomes any more.

3 Likes

Got the Aristocats quilt bound today and got the first side of the binding done on the last two quilts. I’m hoping to have them finished tomorrow.

8 Likes

While looking for my darning thread, I came across lots of other things (of course) and I came across a bag of blocks, mostly practice blocks, that I guess are from the quiltalong in 2021. I remember at Christmas 2020 I got a gift certificate from work that I spent on quilting supplies and then we went into lockdown again and my job let us all stay home on paid leave for around 6-8 weeks because that’s the best they could come up with.

I think I need to do something with them, even if just as a memory of that period of time, but it will be very wonky. Maybe I’ll just all sew them together the way they are now and call it an art quilt…

7 Likes

Embrace the wonky! Add wonky sashing or do a disappearing block wonky thing (slice them all in the same wonky way then trade pieces and sew back together…or just a straight disappearing block thingy), add more wonky log cabins.
You could really have fun using up scraps too.

I used up most of my wonky blocks, orphan blocks, and left over cut triangles and squares and now have to start over accumulating random bits. :crazy_face:

6 Likes

WINNER ALERT!
The entries have been tallied and the Wheel of Names has been spun. Our winner for the last quarter of the 2023 Quiltalong is…@marionberries!! Wow, I just checked and marionberries is one lucky quilter - she won 3 out of the 4 drawings in our 2023 Quiltalong - a definite endorsement for completing the BOMs and turning them into quilts :wink:.

13 Likes

Thank you. This quiltalong keeps me quilting for family and donations. I’m planning my next scrap quilt now. It will be ble…I have a lot of blues :grinning:

6 Likes

I finished binding the last 2 kid’s quilts! Pictures coming tomorrow.

3 Likes

The 2024 Quiltalong is now up and running!

7 Likes