Quiltalong - 2023

That jackknife block I tried was easy enough.
This Jack-in-the-box is pretty awesome looking too.

1 Like

I have updated the information on the BOM post. As of now and retroactive on all blocks (remember, you have the option of submitting the BOM after the block’s featured month and will earn an entry into the drawing - or 2 entries if submitted within the same month):

You have the option of creating the specific BOM featured for each month or submitting a similar looking block that is created more within your skill level or finishes at your preferred size.

5 Likes

The jackknife block was our June 2022 block, but I don’t think we’ve done the Jack in the box block yet and it looks like a fun one! I will add it for June. Thank you for the suggestion!

2 Likes

OMG, I actually made one! Yay me, lol.

3 Likes

-I MistressJennie , submit this as my late March BOM entry.

Managed one more block during nap time!

9 Likes

Why limit the size of blocks, especially half way through the year? Some of us may be basing a quilt or project on another size block. Many patterns have multiple sizes, maybe that should be the requirement.

3 Likes

I just reread my earlier post and realize I wasn’t very clear. I was thinking that if there was a preferred size, I could do my best to find a tutorial that created that size block and post it in addition to other tutorials. So basically there could be options for a few sizes, including a preferred size.

4 Likes

My apologies. I’m a jerk and wasn’t clear either. :woman_facepalming:

So, my thought on picking a particular size block to aim for, wasn’t intended to mess with this year’s Quiltalong. I was thinking of choosing a ‘standard’ for next years along, so people can have a guide as to what to look for. Something a standard block size, and with bonus points if the block they pick comes in multiple sizes, since our members all have different goals.

Absolutely. But BOM’s in general, have a goal of making a finished quilt at the end, be they hosted on blog events, or programs at local quilt shops. You’ve actually managed to finish yours into quilts over the last couple rounds! (You’re amazing.) While I have 2 stacks of blocks that I need to just stop worrying and debating over and finish. So my question is what is our group’s purpose in doing BOM’s? Is it to end with completely random blocks or to have a group to make a quilt?

What’s so weird is that usually 12” or 12.5” mean the same thing. They usually mean 12” FINISHED or 12.5” UNFINISHED. It’s strange to have something truly come out 12”. So I suppose 12.5 as sewn, before being stitched to another block.

In case it helps, Generations Quilt Patterns always has multiple size options for their blocks and Quilter’s Cashe let’s you search by size.

7 Likes

The first year I made two blocks each month, one the BOM and one a variation or a different block. I had decided on 9" squares not realizing that 9" is the least popular. 12 or 8" finished, and a weird size for 4 x 4 block blocks. I did some fancy math to make it come out! The 12" finished block size last year was my choice and so much easier. This year I’ve just made them whatever size and also stitched together a whole pile of leftovers so I have blocks from 12.5" down to 6.5" to now try to meld together into a crazy scrappy quilt. Wish me luck.
This is just a slap up on my design wall. I keep playing with it.

10 Likes

I can go either way…if the blocks are standard and I can pull off the pattern and colors to make a total quilt, I will. If they are all different sizes, I am with @marionberries …I’ll just figure out what it takes to make them play nicely.

@MistressJennie --yeah, usually 12 inches would be the FINISHED size…so it is going to finish now at 11.5? Something is wrong there!

I thought someone here posted a block converter…or maybe I have seen them included in the various patterns? At any rate, I think if the block is smaller or larger than what we want, we should be able to pick a different alternate pattern.

@AudiobookLover --would that work? BOM and then an alternate of your choosing? I like the BOM because I probably wouldn’t pick blocks on my own…since I plan on making loads of totes, I really have no preference. I come here for the eye candy and the good company!!!

5 Likes

So, I was thinking through this yesterday when I updated the BOM requirements. I think the idea of an alternate being allowed is a good one, but I wrote it up so that the alternate has to be similar to each month’s BOM. This way, it still works as a ‘BOM,’ while providing a bit more leeway for anyone who may want to create something using simpler/more difficult techniques, prefers a wonky style of block, wants their block to finish at a specific size, etc.

5 Likes

This is a very valid point and I think that having a universal size of 12.5" unfinished as one of the block options will work well. It’s a decent size and with sashing and borders, a year’s worth of 12" blocks can make a good working sized quilt. When we move forward with the BOM program next year, I will do my best to include a tutorial for a 12" finished block each month (as well as any other helpful tutorials I come across, so basically the same as what I’ve been posting this year, just with the possible addition of a 12" block tutorial).

I feel like I will remember this plan in 6 months and I’ve also written myself a reminder, but if it completely slips my mind, please remind me at the start of the year :blush:.

6 Likes

Since you were asking for more block suggestions, and since it’s grey and rainy here, how about the Rainy Day block? This site has options for 12.5 and 8.5.

Or there’s the Woven Star, which has 12.5, 8.5, and 6.5.

5 Likes

I’m not sure why she uses the old fashioned way of cutting squares into triangles, but I’ll look around to see if there are directions on other sites that use easier methods, like making 4-at-a-time HST’s, or simpler QST’s and Flying Geese. Whenever I see FG’s in a 12” block now, I just make them with the square and rectangle method, rather than piecing bias triangles.

4 Likes

-I MistressJennie submit this as my late April BOM entry.

Since this block pattern link makes a 10”, rather than a 12” block, I made a variation on a Log Cabin, and took it up to 12” in the process. It’s the same method to stitch, you just add pieces along one corner rather than around.

11 Likes

I love how creative you are with the limited fabrics you have currently! I will have to look into getting some of those muted solids…they are lovely all together!

5 Likes

I LOVE this!

2 Likes

Nice variation and the colors are so soft, yet vibrant. Beautiful.

2 Likes

It’s this fat quarter bundle from DGY. But I bought it in December, when it was in the Sale Bin for $49, AND they were running a coupon code for 60% off everything in the Sale Bin, so I paid $20 for the bundle. It’s currently $100 on the site, but watch for sales. It’s something that comes up on sale often.

The colors are beautiful, but I will say the fabric has some difficulties. It isn’t perfectly pressed and starched like quilting cottons, and often has been cut way off grain. When I find the grain line and lay it out on the cutting mat, it often lays more like a trapezoid than a rectangle.

3 Likes

-I MistressJennie, submit this as my late January BOM entry.

And with that, I’m caught up in BOM’s!

12 Likes