Quiltalong - 2023

I usually wash fabric, but I don’t wash precuts.

Just Get it Done Quilts made an interesting video about prewashing fabric for quilts:

4 Likes

Both of those are amazing!

1 Like

Oh my gosh, I LOVE those Halloween fabrics! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

That video was very informative. Thank you for sharing @jellybean.
I know the non-washed one shrunk more, but the pre-washed one shrank so much that she had to alter the pattern a bit, and still shunk after being quilted. I think I will go with unwashed from now on. Thank you so much. Actually, the washing, drying, ironing, and cleaning up the fabrics edges etc, was my least favorite part of the one, single, quilt I have ever made. I also like the crinkling of the quilts. Makes it cozier! Team Unwashed here… hold on, that doesn’t sound so good. :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing that video! It seems that whichever way you do it, consistency is key to good results.

I’ve always washed my fabrics before using them, and gotten great results. But, this last quilt was made with charm packs, which can’t be pre-washed, so I didn’t wash any of the fabrics before sewing/quilting. It did make for a lofty, squishy, very crinkled quilt. Not quite as flat and drapey as most of my quilts have been.

5 Likes

Team Unwashed…ha ha ha…I think this will always be debated and based on personal experiences and likes…there really is no wrong way a quilt can be made, is there? Each one is made with love and is unique. Do what makes it a joy for you to make!

5 Likes

I am part of Team Unwashed as well, though I did take a shower this morning. :grin:

I love the crinkle and since most of my quilts are from stash and scraps, and whether the fabric is washed or mostly not washed it is always a guess. I love the feel and workability of unwashed fabric and dealing with the wrinkling and fraying is a big pain and time sucker. And the crinkle also tends to make the little mismatched corners and wonky seams just disappear into the background.

If I was making a wall hanging or show quilt I might think differently. But I make quilts to be used, wrapped around people, for kids to drag around, for throwing on the ground for picnics, and to be washed as often as needed.

10 Likes

Got a few more blocks done. I ended up with 2 of the bottom blocks because I cut too few blocks the first time so had to do it twice. Live and learn. Also forgot a step in making the blocks so made it a little harder on myself sewing triangles >.< ah well, it turned out alright.

13 Likes

I love all the ways you have found to use every bit of your denim.

2 Likes

I’m loving the colours

1 Like

Scrappy quilt top is done. Now to find.the time to quilt it. The garden needs weeding, the carrots thiningn and we found deer scat in the garden. We just dont have deer this far into town. Hope thet were just passing through.

15 Likes

Omg, it’s a riot of color!

1 Like

It looks awesome!

I adore everything about this quilt! Loud colors, wild patterns, wonky lines and quirky block pairings. It is FANTASTIC. It speaks to my soul.

2 Likes

I’m working on my niece’s I-spy quilt. I’m really struggling on coming up with clues though. Normally the words just kind of flow, but for some reason, that is not the case this time around. :confounded: I’ve managed to come up with just over half, I’m really hoping that the words just start coming and I can finish the second half today!

11 Likes

Wow! Fantastic colors and images!

1 Like

It’s a beautiful quilt!

If you’re stuck, maybe AI like ChatGPT could help? Or some of the more linguistically-talented people in this group?

1 Like

kitty wishes for delicious fishes
Absurd Pink Bird
I thought I’d have more but it’s harder than you think…
Looks amazing though, and how fun!

2 Likes

This is charming! Good luck with the clues.

1 Like

Thank you all!

@tendstowardschaos, I never would’ve thought of using an AI or even a poem generator. Thanks for the suggestion, it’s come in helpful! I have one computer generated clue and I’ve also been able to use the software to help open my mind to different clue possibilities!

@Magpie, I may use your kitty clue if I need to maximize space (my current clue is a bit longer and I know from experience that some longer clues may need to be shortened). I was also thinking of rhyming absurd and bird :flamingo::smile:.

Just 8 more clues to go!

6 Likes