Quiltalong - 2023

@Abbeeroad, this pattern gave me very Abbie Vibes. Though I imagine you just randomly crumb piecing the blue portions, then making them into Flying Geese to become the mountains, rather than paper piecing.

4 Likes

Ooo…love it! I have several mountain patterns pinned, but not this one.

Some day I want to play around with mountain blocks for sure!!

3 Likes

I finally started sewing the I-Spy-inspired quilts for my grand nephews. I’m using the economy square block, and batch sewing them. I still have to cut the fabrics for the next layer of the blocks. But, I’ll worry about that later, once I’ve got this first round sewn and squared up.

9 Likes

Nuf said.

15 Likes

Cute!

Fantastic!!!

The kitties!!! See, this is why I want to learn to quilt. Amazingly cute cat stuff like this. LOVE this block.

2 Likes

Wish it was mine, saw this on line. But I may just do some thing similar. I found this block pattern easy.

I juat returned from vacation and have to go pick up my repaired machine. It’s not worth repairing the main issue with it, but they have done their best and I should get some use before replacing. But I worry I can’t machine quilt anymore. I wore the poor thing out!

2 Likes

Fantastic!! :smiley_cat:

Obsessed now with that cat block…

2 Likes

-I marionberries , submit this as my July BOM entry.

I am making a lap quilt for my DD as a Christmas gift. Her choice of colors are mossy greens, sage, emeralds, greys, whites, and slashes of pastel accent colors. This should be fun as it’s a different color palette than I usually go for.

-I marionberries , offer May 2023 Reprise for my small personal finish.

And since I need at least 12 blocks by December, I am reprising some of my favorites from past BOMs.

11 Likes

These are beautiful @marionberries, I love those colours!

1 Like

I jemimah submit this as my July prompt entry (hand quilting)

On a recent weekend in Sydney, I treated myself to a couple of pattern books at a wonderful Japanese book store. I really love Japanese sewing and embroidery patterns. I’ve made two quilted pouches this month from one of the new books. (The low winter sunlight isn’t great for photos, but hopefully these are clear enough.)

Apart from the main seam around the outside of the bird and the leaf, they are all hand sewn - hand quilted on both sides, hand appliqued, and the zipper and lining installed by hand too. The muted fabrics in the bird are from a little collection of Japanese patchwork fabrics I bought years ago. The leaf pouch is lined with the same chartreuse polka dot as the zipper pull.

This is the book -

It’s all in Japanese, so I can’t even tell you the designer’s name, but I’m sure I’ll make more things out of it. The diagrams are quite clear, so I don’t find them too hard to follow. I changed it up a bit to add more hand quilting to the bird, I’m really pleased with how it turned out. These projects are time consuming, but I find them really satisfying and beautiful to stitch.

11 Likes

They are absolutely gorgeous! Your hand quilting is super neat. And @marionberries I’m curious to see hwo that will turn out! These colours are very on trend right now.

I’ve been unpacking more and more UFO’s and WIP’s recently. I hope I’ll be able to get some done soon !

3 Likes

Thanks @Immaculata :smile_cat:

I should post my third quarter goals! (they are pretty much the same as my second quarter goals lol)

My goals for the third quarter of 2023

• make a lap quilt using the steampunk fabric Mr Jemimah picked out + the rest from stash (I think a compass design)
  • make something using the natural + red print fabrics that have been calling to me
  • finish one of the projects I started ages ago from my Yoko Saito books (they are so beautiful, but so time-intensive)
5 Likes

Ah, third quarter goals
-complete 6 12 inch blocks for my DDs lap quilt
-Finish my crazy quilt/random block quilt and send for donation
-make some rainbow scrappy items for holiday fair
-make more wine caddies out of old jeans.
-be open to new crafts
-create several spirit dolls for donation

4 Likes

@marionberries - your blocks are gorgeous! The chemistry notes fabric has me making this face: :heart_eyes:

Your pouches are beautiful, @jemimah!

3 Likes

I still have beautiful cicada you stitched for me @jemimah . I’ll take a pic to when I get home.

I’ll have time at the airport to mull over goals.

3 Likes

Such fun pouches @jemimah !

The stitching adds so much dimensionality and the shapes…I want to hold them and play with them. :blush:

4 Likes

Thank you quilting buddies! :sparkling_heart:

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I still have the gorgeous project bag and pouch from that swap, with the bits of kimono fabrics in them too! That must be a while ago now, I think they’ve been with me through at least one change of husbands, five moves, and three countries, lol.

I think that’s why I enjoy making them so much, they’re really tactile little projects. :smile:

4 Likes