Quiltalong - 2023

That wonky star is perfect and the center just makes me happy. I like the colorful centers I guess it pays to not be first in posting a BOM.

4 Likes

Now, that’s a scrappy star! Very cool looking.

4 Likes

I have a large bin of orphan blocks…some are because I messed up or was trying to learn a new pattern; some because I started to make a quilt and then lost interest…it happens a lot.

Well, I decided to chop a few up…I was going to have them done by Christmas but things got in the way…so, at least I am ahead for next year!

I used some fusible fleece and an old sheet and then did a few random stitches by hand. The backs are solid green from who knows where…I was able to do all six of these with ONE block…ugh…not much of a stash buster for sure.

15 Likes

I love these! What a fun and creative way to repurpose orphan blocks!

Maybe not, but this is now my favorite way that I’ve seen somebody breathe new life into a single orphan block! :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

They are so pretty. & I have some of that bird fabric! Maybe from you, would have to be many years ago.

2 Likes

These are so cool, you should share them over on our Christmas thread, too, I bet someone else will get inspired by them.

4 Likes

Love them! The hand stitching, especially.

They remind me that I used some interfaced leftovers from making fabric baskets to make little ornaments/hangings that I sent to some LC friends…

They are patchwork style, perfect for quilting leftovers. I’m going to try to remember to make more little things like this throughout the year.

11 Likes

Oh, I love those! Yes, I had smaller pieces left over from making the trees that I just could not throw out…ha…I can think of a lot of things to make with circles…patches, adding to fabric pages, magnets…

I decided I needed to adopt the MAGPIE METHOD…use up every bit right away or it will languish in a pile!

And, yes, @magpie, I do remember sending a few people that bird fabric…I had six yards of it that was supposed to be the backing of a quilt but was too small! I have made several projects from it and am about sick of it! ha ha

6 Likes

I can see @magpie’s grabby fingers twitching from here. :rofl: :grimacing:

5 Likes

Life is hard sometimes, truly.

5 Likes

@AIMR and @Abbeeroad I love the scrappy ornaments. Must remember for end of 2023.

2 Likes

I love those!

2 Likes

I’ve made progress on my SIL new lap quilt. Since I got my machine back from recovery (she needed some work) I fixed an old quilt for my SIL, changed my mind on the binding fabric, ordered, changed again, canceled, and then reordered!
The top and back are both done. Tomorrow I hope to sandwich and quilt. Then wait for the binding to be delivered.
Front:

Back:

9 Likes

I am not a huge fan of plaids, but this color scheme really appeals to me…the holy triad…orange, green, purple! My favorites! She will love it! The back looks as good as the front…great plaid matching as well!

3 Likes

I love watching your quilts progress!

1 Like

I attended the Road to California quilt show yesterday and today and saw so many amazing quilts!
Here are just a few:

This would fit right in with our January prompt. It was created with improv piecing!

This micropieced quilt is made up of 10,469 pieces :open_mouth:. The strips on those tiny blocks are 1/8" or less :astonished:.

This quilt looked to be an amazing combination of hand stitching and cross stitch:

I was floored by the binding on this one. I can’t even imagine how long that would take!

This one’s for @craftADDchick - if I recall correctly she is working on a Dear Jane quilt.

While I would love to possess the awe inspiring talent of these quilters, I can’t even fathom how much time went into each quilt. Personally, I’ll be happy if I can manage to finish a few simple quilts before next year’s show!

11 Likes

Wow!! :exploding_head:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing those quilt pics. Awe inspiring. I just don’t have that kind of time or focus, I am glad others do so we can stand in awe .
My level is lap quilts and nothing too intricate. I am in awe of anyone who can do a full size or larger quilt!

3 Likes

I am always dazzled by the quilts in those shows! It really boggles the mind…the creativity and the amount of work! I know it is a driving passion for many…

I guess I will just sit back and make my functional quilts and hope that they are at least decent looking! Just wow…

3 Likes

I marionberries, submit this as my January BOM entry.

This was a challenge, my dyslexia came out in full force today. After messing up a few squares I resorted to paper piecing. It was still hard, but I made it to the end. I don’t really like it much, but it may grow on me. It might be fun on a bag.

10 Likes