Quiltalong - 2023

I love the wee butterfly wing peeking out.

1 Like

Wow! Those quilts are impressive! And, that Dear Jane in the blues is gorgeous. I love how she fussy cut those pieces that you highlighted, too. Wow! Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

I nominate Quilting Land: Double Aster Block Quilt
for any upcoming month.

7 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous!

1 Like

Ooh, that is a pretty block! I will definitely add it to the BOM, probably for February.

2 Likes

I, AIMR, submit this as my barely on time Jan 23 BOM!

I decided I am going to use up the final bits of several years worth of color organized fat quarters. It will definitely be a rainbow scrappy quilt.

I made a mistake in one of the blocks (forgot to trim before sewing on a second piece!). I am not very adept at improv piecing…I think I will try the paper piecing of this one next just to see if I like it better. It will work in my planned quilt, so I am fine with it.

11 Likes

What a great way to use up your scraps!

1 Like

Thanks! I think I will do the February block with greens!

2 Likes

Our February BOM, the Double Aster/Modern Star block, was nominated by @marionberries. This block offers the opportunity to learn what may be a new skill - sewing with a partial seam. If you aren’t ready to give that a try just yet, I have also found a tutorial that shows how to create the block with HSTs. I personally have not tried to sew a partial seam, but based on the tutorials and videos I reviewed for this month’s BOM, it seems like it sounds scarier than it actually is. I’ve included two videos that show how to create the Double Aster with the partial seam, but they will have to be used in conjunction with the written tutorial since neither video includes any of the cutting instructions.

February:

BOM Feb

Double Aster - nominated by @marionberries

Video links:
Double Aster Short Video
Double Aster Long Video
How to create Double Aster block with HSTs

11 Likes

Wow! Thank you for all the research and resources! I’m looking forward to the challenge. :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve done partial seams before. They are really not that difficult at all. But, I still have to look at a tutorial because it is not something I remember.

I will have to look through past quilt blocks from the dead place…I know I have patterns that use this technique.

Can’t wait to start on it!

3 Likes

This month’s prompt - or skill challenge, since our prompts this year are about learning (or just practicing) new skills - is a fun one:

Foundation Paper Piecing!

Think of all the quilts you can tackle with this month’s skill!

February Prompt
Foundation Paper Piecing:

Explore the unlimited possibilities of foundation paper piecing (FPP). "According to this article on how to foundation paper piece, “Foundation paper piecing is when the outline of a quilt block is printed on a paper foundation and fabric is sewn together on the paper using the outline as a sewing guide. When the block is complete the paper foundation is removed.” Make a block using the FPP method. Who knows? Maybe that block will be the foundation of your next big project!

Foundations of foundation paper piecing

Free FPP patterns:
Wombat Quilts (includes the star pattern above)
Simple Simon and Co. (includes the diamond pattern above)
Carol Doak (includes the cat in a pumpkin pattern above)

8 Likes

I did some foundation paper piecing in the past…I do find it challenging and fun!

11 Likes

Wow! It looks like there was a lot of piecing involved. Those are both really impressive!

3 Likes

I haven’t finished my X-files quilt because there are two blocks that have to be paper pieced or appliqued. Maybe this will kick my butt to get them done!

7 Likes

Monster paper piecing, just in time for Monster Jam '23!

3 Likes

Fun paper piecing @AIMR .

I have also done paper piecing in the past. I find it very challenging as my dyslexia fights back. Once I get my mind wrenched around to the right mindset, it goes easier.

Here’s some of mine (then I stopped except for small quilt block piecing). And if either of the lucky recipients are out there, where. Another issue I have is remembering names. Sigh.

Kanga

And Unicorn Snorts
Unicorn

14 Likes

Mine were for a swap…I have always wondered how these things are quilted.

So, mostly outlining the image and then quilting the background…very nice work!

3 Likes

Unicorn Snorts! I remember you…

I feel like I must have seen progress on this at some point…but I can’t remember. I’m so intrigued!

3 Likes