Quiltalong - 2023

Nice fabric picks! Do you already have a pattern chosen out?

1 Like

Yes, it is called Jelly Roll Jam

4 Likes

That looks like a quick but cute make.

3 Likes

Quick and easy and fun, perfect.

2 Likes

Very nice! I can’t wait to see it!

1 Like

I am working on a quilted mug rug for the mug rug swap. I’m loving how it’s coming out and am thinking of making a larger version as a mini quilt. I hope to one day have enough small wall quilts to crate a quilted gallery wall!

7 Likes

I marionberries, submit this as my March BOM entry.

I’ve been playing with different color combos. I wanted to use the cream and dark red from a 1970s caftan. Yes, I ve carried this remnant from coast to coast.
Then added the others.

I followed the video tutorial because of the odd way she made the two color triangles. It worked perfectly. It’s an interesting design.

10 Likes

Scrappy stars quilt, super pretty.

Two quilt tops from one jelly roll…one to give as a gift at a baby shower, the other to have on hand…

Going to pin them up today and hopefully even get going on the quilting,( if I can decide on how I want to do it)…this is the hardest part of finishing the quilt for me…

Both quilts will have the same backing, but the larger quilt back will have to be pieced…I have some left over blocks that I hope will ensure that I do not need to buy anymore fabric! ha We’ll see…

14 Likes

Wow you just bought that fabric! Speedy!

I love them both!! I might need that jelly roll…

1 Like

:seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face:

HEY EV-ERY-BODY! It’s time to vote in the Spring Is In The Air Challenge! Get on over there before the poll closes on March 27, 2023!

2 Likes

I, AIMR, offer Kindness Always baby quilt #1, as a personal large finish. It has been a while since I actually quilted a top, but, amazingly, no puckers and relatively straight rows… :roll_eyes:.

Decided to do the binding by hand, which is why it took so long…twice as long as doing the piecing, I would say! Starting from a jellyroll really got me kick started but, from there, it was a long haul. This is not the one that I am giving to my sister’s friend: I should have done that one first because my sister is picking it up April 5! I might do the binding on machine if I can’t get motivated by tomorrow…it could be an easy project to do while we are zooming tomorrow!

I had to add the insert because I ran out of backing fabric…

Close up of simple diagonal squares quilting:

Of course, I also have another WIP in the wings… :laughing:

13 Likes

These are both just lovely. Well done!

1 Like

Absolutely lovely my friend.

2 Likes

The jelly roll quilt is fun with the changes in strip direction and I like a piece back, adds interest and a real money saver at the same time. And the new quilt top is beautiful.

I found a box of all the trimmings and left over from the 5 baby quilts I’ve made in the last 7 years or so. My kids and my brother’s kids were all in their late 20’s to mid 30’s when whe had a population surge, 5 babies in 6 years. And I made quilts for each child. I posted my neice’s boys quilts earlier.
So I sewed them all together into 8 inch squares. I am just waiting for some sashing and backing material to arrive and I can finish it for donation. Unless another baby is on its way. (I think they all are done now. The oldest ones are in their early 40’s now, I’m not sure how that happened.)

14 Likes

Great idea! So pretty together…what color sashing are you going to use?

I also think everyone I know is pretty much done with having babies…unless I want to start waiting for the great , great grands, etc. My oldest great niece is 18, so there is a potential for a great, great nephew or niece! lol

I was thinking of sewing all the scraps together to baby burp blankets to donate to the women’s shelter…lots of single moms there. I think it would be a good way to use up the odd bits of flannel and toweling as well.

4 Likes

I am using white with a subtle pattern of sashing. It’s so busy I didn’t want to confuse it more visually.

Burp blankies…good idea. Yes, we hope the kids are done having babies. I hope this clearing up the kid scraps doesn’t trigger another round.

My daughter just informed me she is turning 40 in June. And she’s one of the younger ones! Yikes. She is the only unmarried and likely to stay that way, one in the group. She’s a career woman, very self-sufficient, and perfectly happy.

4 Likes

I, AIMR, submit this as a medium to medium large finish. It is the first baby quilt I have made using a jellyroll. The piecing was fast, but the quilting and binding were challenging. I truly admire anyone who quilts and binds larger quilts…this wore me out! :laughing: I had to take a few afternoon naps, seriously!

Now I am motivated to do something “simpler” like make the blocks of the month! ha

13 Likes

@AIMR This looks beautiful all quilted and bound. The dark blue binding definitely frames it nicely! I like the blues and greens if your latest project, it gives the pattern such a refreshing feel!

@marionberries, I love that you managed to create new blocks out of old trimmings!

3 Likes

@AIMR such sweet quilts! They will be loved.

@marionberries how cool, all those memories are so nostalgic. Beauty.