Quiltalong - 2024

Yay for another year of the Quiltalong!

First quarter goals:
-Piece my 2023 BOM quilt top
-Complete my 2023 BOM quilt
-Piece my Halloween quilt top
-Complete my Halloween quilt
Edit 1/9/24:
-Piece my 2021 BOM quilt top (black & rainbow)
-Complete my 2021 BOM quilt

Yearlong goal: Channel my inner Edel and complete as many quilts as possible by sewing through as much fabric in my stash as I can. I’m allowing myself to buy fabric to complete something that utilizes stash, but not buy new fabric for new projects (outside of possibly some D&D fabric for a quilt for Jim.)

8 Likes

Ahh… goals for 2024. I’m winging it right now. Newly retired and I am just cruisin’ along and feeling my way.

*Lap quilts for the Laps Full of Love group. These are for aging members of our lesbian community. So many women do not have the family support in their later years, especially this age group, we came out in a much less accepting time. Next one will be blues with a pop of color for the color of the month…maybe.
*Keep making the BOMs. They end up in a quilt at some point! I don’t really like this month’s BOM…probably because of all the little hst. :grin:
*Finish the art quilt I started and abandoned.
*Make the other art quilt I just designed. I think this one maybe a donation for our church’s auction or craft fair.
*Any other project that wanders in to my brain and distracts me.

5 Likes

Is Jan 1st quarter?
In any case, my goals this year:
Join the local guild, meet Karen Brown
Baby quilt for M
Quilt from my Auntie’s plaids
Mementos from plaid scraps
Quilt for camper
Buy nothing except batting & backing
Save to pay the longarm quilter

5 Likes

I’ll be totally jealous if you get to meet Karen.

3 Likes

My plan for meeting her is ALL about you! You’re the reason I even know about her at all!

4 Likes

I recently found a Facebook group called Scrap Happy Quilters. Lots of fun and ideas!

-I marionberries, offer Finley’s Quilt* for my small personal finish.

This came together quickly and is now one of my favorite baby quilts.

In the picture of the other three boys at the end of the post are the other three quilts.

6 Likes

Gozer’s First Quarter Goals.

• Set up new sewing machine.
  • Make a block in the color of the month.
  • Quilt a mug rug on my new machine to figure out freehand quilting on it.
  • Quilt a mat for Tipsy’s food.

Second Quarter Goals.

• Make a throw-sized paneled Halloween quilt top.

2024 Goals

• Seam rip and resew heart patchwork ottoman over.
  • Make Dear Stella Boo! Quilt for myself.
  • Quilt at least four mats for Tipsy’s food bowl.
  • Cut scraps into 5" or 2.5" squares after sewing projects.
3 Likes

I want to finish so many quilts I started over the last few years and just never finished!

My plans for 2024:

1. Quilt for baby Emery
  2. Wedding quilt for Nina
  3. Several quilted tote bags for gifts
  4. Patchwork tote bag
  5. Placemats for sister
  6. Halloween something
5 Likes

Fixed. Thanks for catching that!

1 Like

Now that all my kids quilt tops are done and bound, I’m trying to start in on turning last year’s BOM’s into a quilt. I pulled out the matching fabrics, and cut the sashing. Hoping to get a start on piecing the top while Ada sleeps.

7 Likes

Thanks for running another year of this quiltalong, @AudiobookLover!

First Quarter Goals:

1. Get squares cut for my ‘scrap’ quilt (it’s really just a 2"-postage stamp quilt because I literally ran out of scraps with the 3 previous scrap quilts)
  2. Assemble the QOV quilt top
  3. Finish blocks for the 4 economy square quilts
  4. Two quilted throw pillow covers (16")
5 Likes

I was doing a bit of cutting for my postage stamp quilt and went to throw the scraps into my small scrap bin, only to notice that the scraps are overflowing the bin…so, I organized my scrap bin. A couple pieces were big enough to add to my postage stamp quilt, but the rest are strips and crumbs. I might have to do another crumb quilt at the end of the year. :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Update pictures! Five bound kids quilts. I need to rope Jim into holding them up to get better pics tomorrow so I can make a real project post.

Square Jelly Beans

Turquoise Hot Air Balloons

The backing

Rectangular Jelly Beans

Purple Hot Air Balloons

The backing

The Aristocats

And today I got most of the slashing done on my BOM quilt. I have to get one last row on, the the two outside slashing pieces, and the top will be done.

8 Likes

Here’s an absolutely terrible picture of the portion that’s done.

12 Likes

They’re all beautiful, @MistressJennie! Your BOM quilt is just so lovely. The ever-so-slightly-muted rainbow is a stunning palette.

2 Likes

@MistressJennie beautiful and fun pile of quilts. And I like the way your BOM quilt is looking. It has a wonderful u ique feel to it with those yummy fabrics.

3 Likes

Since I am new and just starting my quilt journey, I was excited that after cutting out a purse, I cut the odd shaped scraps into 5" squares for my quilt scrap bin.
Then I went on here and saw @MistressJennie and realized I am super slow. Hahahaha! :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:
Your quilts look amazing Jennie! You are a quilting MACHINE!

5 Likes

@MistressJennie is a quult mqking wonder. I don’t even try to keep up. :upside_down_face: :grin:

2 Likes

We do have some incredibly speedy quilting queens here! They are inspirational and amazing!

I am also super slow…but I do enjoy it and feel spurred on by the Queens of Quilts!

1 Like

I’m really not that fast. @Edel is much faster. I’m just trying to sneak in all the quilting I can during Ada’s naps. I actually had all these little quilt tops put together before Christmas. When I was going through my stash, I found the already cut Balloon squares, and the stack of rainbow 9-Patches, which were (mostly) leftover from a project I did 15-16 years ago! When I found them, I was in the mood for a palette cleanser project (right after finishing and sending off the Memory Quilts), and decided to turn them into something for Quilts for Kids. I made the tops, and then put them aside as the holidays got closer. And it is MUCH faster to sandwich, quilt, and bind these tiny little things. The smallest took just over an hour of quilting, and the larger took about 2 hours each.

And honestly, quilting was the first craft I learned. Back when I was about 8-10 years old. We lived wayyyy up in the mountains, in a mostly tourist area. My mom had a daycare for some of the local kids, and we were pretty isolated. (30 minutes to the nearest grocery store.) Mom started taking quilt classes to get out and see other adults from time to time, and even started her own quilt making business. Meanwhile she wasn’t a fan of toys or clutter, or any kind of kid messes. So she would do things like give me her scraps, and her old sewing machine, and tell me to go make something. So I’ve literally been quilting (off and on) for at least 30 years. I didn’t do much in high school or college, but when friends started getting married, I picked it back up because I couldn’t afford gifts from their registry, and by then I was known as the friend who makes handmade gifts, so people started expecting/requesting them. I remember one broke summer when I had to make 8 quilts!

So long story longer, don’t judge yourself by anyone else’s seeming speed or ease. You’re already amazing. And while you think I’m fast, I think Edel’s fast, and Edel is in awe of Karen. :joy:

4 Likes