Quiltalong - 2024

Awesome job @skrutt! Your BOM is beautiful and you got so much quilting done this weekend!!!

2 Likes

Thanks!
Yeah, since mum lives one hour away, we take time to craft as much as we can! :smiley:

2 Likes

Question, is this pattern called a peanut butter quilt?

I’m not sure I understand the question… Peanut butter quilt?

The top was made of BOM’s from 2021 & 2022’s Quiltalongs, with a new one thrown in to tie it together.

2 Likes

Total newb. Is the way you put it together called that?

Huh. I’ve never heard of that quilt pattern before. It seems like this person ‘created a pattern’ out of a quilting tradition that’s been around since time immemorial. The orange pieces on my quilt are called sashing, and the purple contrast blocks are called cornerstones. Usually you’ll just hear it called ‘sashing’ among quilters. It’s a way to tie your unique blocks together, while also setting them up as separate blocks. If that makes sense. Unlike a pattern where you might want all your blocks to touch, to create a larger overall pattern.

For example, if you make a Triple Irish Chain, you make all the same block, then connect them so you get a chain or net across the whole quilt:

Usually with sashing, you are taking different blocks, then using the sashing to unite them. Sometimes they are pieced blocks, and sometimes they are solid blocks, like in @AudiobookLover’s Eye Spy Quilts.

I’m not trying to shame the pattern writer, but it seems like they wrote down a common technique as though it is their own pattern they thought up.

5 Likes

That quilt @AudiobookLover made is SO COOL.
I was trying to figure out terms. Thank you! I hadn’t heard anyone call it that, so I was curious.

2 Likes

No worries! We’re all learning new stuff all the time!

Here’s a Beginner’s Glossary:

And a more in-depth glossary:

3 Likes

BTW, it can also be called ‘lattice’, usually when your blocks are set ‘on point’. That means that instead of the blocks going vertical and horizontal across the quilt, they go at an angle from corner to corner, like this one:

Sorry, I keep having more random thoughts… You might enjoy Jordan Fabric’s videos on YouTube. In each one she makes a whole quilt, sometimes a free pattern of her own, sometimes a paid pattern. But without actually being a ‘here’s how to make a quilt’ super-basic video, you still learn SO MUCH from every one she does. She explains as she goes, managing to walk the line between explaining stuff and not making you feel like an idiot. I’m an experienced quilting, and learn new stuff from her all the time, but as I watch her videos (often while quilting), I also see how many terms and techniques she introduces that I would have loved to have spelled out when I was learning.

5 Likes

@skrutt, you managed to accomplish so much in a weekend! Both yours and your mom’s blocks look great and your little houses quilt came looks like a fun wall hanging. I like the use of the yellow for binding!

@gozer, I was actually looking at that quilt pattern earlier this month. I like their use of low volume fabrics in the middle and the brighter fabrics for the sashing. The pattern is very similar to a disappearing 9-patch, which in my opinion is an easier, faster way to complete the same look.

In my I-Spy patterns, I use a disappearing 9-patch to achieve most of the sashing. I sewed together a 9-patch (3 squares x 3 squares), then cut it in half both vertically and horizontally.

After cutting it in fourths, I ended up with blocks that had sashing on the left and on top, along with a cornerstone in the corner.

Once all the nine patches were cut down and the individual blocks sewn together, I ended up with a quilt that just needed sashing along the bottom and right sides.

So I sewed together some of the middle parts of the nine-patch and cut them down in order to quickly get the extra sashing and cornerstone pieces.

I love this disappearing nine-patch pattern and also used it to make a Christmas quilt (which is one of my three quilts that just needs labeling and binding to be completed [one of my quarterly goals is to get at least one of the three done before March!]).

9 Likes

@marionberries used the D9P in her last quilt…there are so many variations from very symmetrical to wild and wonky!

@MistressJennie I also find it annoying that people use time honored patterns and claim it as their own…I want to call them out on it with examples that date back to the 1800’s! ha ha ha

3 Likes

:flushed: that’s what a disappearing nine-patch is? OMW I never paid any attention to that before. How clever! I’m going to use that for sure.

4 Likes

@AudiobookLover Beautiful use of the disappearing 9 patch! It was an eye opener for me too.
@MistressJennie I think many quilters use traditional patterns and then their own fabric choices and then “brand” the combination. Some quilters need the guidence, some of us can’t make ourselves follow a pattern exactly. :rofl:

I marionberries submit my January BOM. I can’t say I liked this block, but I like this combo. Quiz…spot the design changes and mistakes. I think this one broke my dislexic brain. I should give it a name!

I used the method of ironing the hst to an interfacing grid, but didn’t pay enough attention to the direction they should be facing. And then sewed one row incorrectly. It’s a block!

9 Likes

@AudiobookLover - that kind of blew my mind. I thought they were the same, but your way seems so much better! Thank you for sharing.
And @Magpie , thank you for being as amazed as me. It helps me not feel so alone! Man, quilting is clever and complex.

3 Likes

Your block looks good to me…as I can’t seem to wrap my head around how it is supposed to be…my guess is that some diamond things are going the wrong way? gaaah…my eyes are going wonky trying to figure it out, so, as I said…it looks fine! ha ha

3 Likes

As @MistressJennie said in her earlier post, “We’re all learning new stuff all the time,” which is so true! Just recently @marionberries posted a different disappearing 9-patch pattern, which made me realize, ‘wait a second, the blocks in the original 9 patch (before it’s cut up) don’t all have to be the same size!’

I feel like that knowledge opened up a whole new set of possibilities. In my quilts, my sashing was exactly half the size of my squares, since the original 9-patch was made up of all 5" squares. But when looking at the Peanut Butter Quilt pattern, I noticed that the sashing didn’t seem to be just half of the larger squares, it looks to be a bit smaller.

So, if that pattern were done as a disappearing 9-patch, it would look more like this:

Thank you, marionberries for helping me see the possibility of creating 9-patches with different sized patches!

7 Likes

@AIMR The fabrics make it hard to see where I went wrong. I do like the end results and it is not getting redone. It will end up in my next scrap quilt.
@AudiobookLover, dont you just live a good aha moment. Dissapearing blocks have always fascinated me and I just started wrapping my head around them.

4 Likes

A Disappearing 9 Patch can also be a totally different look, if you rotate the blocks. Like this one:

9 Likes

That’s beautiful! It makes the quilt look much more complex but also distributes the colors and patterns nicely without a lot of thinking about it!

I got a cheat card of the various ways to layout the D9P…I am going to play around with them after I cut them…it will be a small, square baby quilt, but it should still be fun to try out different layouts other than the one I have my head set on!

4 Likes

Mind blown! :exploding_head:

3 Likes