Quiltalong - 2024

@AIMR The fabrics make it hard to see where I went wrong. I do like the end results and it is not getting redone. It will end up in my next scrap quilt.
@AudiobookLover, dont you just live a good aha moment. Dissapearing blocks have always fascinated me and I just started wrapping my head around them.

4 Likes

A Disappearing 9 Patch can also be a totally different look, if you rotate the blocks. Like this one:

9 Likes

That’s beautiful! It makes the quilt look much more complex but also distributes the colors and patterns nicely without a lot of thinking about it!

I got a cheat card of the various ways to layout the D9P…I am going to play around with them after I cut them…it will be a small, square baby quilt, but it should still be fun to try out different layouts other than the one I have my head set on!

4 Likes

Mind blown! :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Thanks for posting that simple diagram…I was just about to sew together my same sized patches as I wanted to make a quilt similar to what @marionberries made…I did not catch that she used different sizes!! No wonder I was confused…I could not envision this and just made a regular 9 patch with 9 inch squares!

hmmm…I suppose I could cut down the middle part after I sew my big 9 patch…but then the quilt might be smaller than I wanted…

ok–back to the drawing board…literally…ha ha

ohhh–I could use the smaller cuts to make a border around the middle part…hmmm

2 Likes

Another Disappearing 9 Patch

The whole thing depends on what colors you put in which places on the original 9 Patch. For this one I put the rust color in the center of the patch, the medium blue in the middle ‘cross’, and the dark blue and cream in the corners. That meant that the rust would always be a small square, and the medium blue would always be a rectangle, while the dark blue and cream would always be whole squares.

And if you are going with this type of finished design, that means that you can do strip piecing to make the 9 Patches. Traditional piecing means you would cut out all 9 squares, then seam them all together to make a 9 Patch. But strip piecing means that you can cut a strip of dark blue, medium blue, and cream, that are whatever width x the whole length of fabric. So in this case 3.5" x 42". You then sew the strips along the whole length, THEN cut them into 3.5" cross pieces. This makes piecing faster, and you’re not wasting as much thread. And the added benefit is that your blocks will come out straighter and less chance of being wonky. If you make the block the Traditional way, it would have 8 individual seams to put it together. (Think of each seam as a chance for wonkiness.) But if you’ve strip pieced, then 6 of those seams are pre-done, and already cut straight. Leaving you just 2 more seams to complete the block. (Two seams, instead of 8, means less chance of wonk.)

6 Likes

And just for pure insanity, in case some of your brains aren’t scrambled yet, here’s an alterante Double Disappearing 9 Patch, which changes the placement of the cuts, then swaps pieces with a second block to change the fabrics and the whole look.

6 Likes

Dissapearing 4 or 9 patch rabbit hole! This is so much fun!

4 Likes

Oh, this is a good one! I want my two rabbit prints to stay whole!

My mind is boggled by all of this, but I was thinking it would be a fabulous challenge to do a different D9P all through the year…I want to try them all!

5 Likes

-I mvanrh11, submit this as my current January BOM entry.

I decided to try the BOM challenge and use fabric from the quilts I work on during the month. So I was glad there was two blocks this month so I could use the fabric from the two different projects I am working on.

- I did not enjoy the random measurements of this, the amount of times I had to google where 5/8 is on a ruler (I am in Australia, I use cms normally). I saw @MistressJennie tips after I had cut the fabric :frowning:

11 Likes

ADVICE WANTED:

I have some batik 5inch squares, I want to put them together on point and then use black as the filler between the squares. In the image, ignoring the sashing, row 1,3,5 would be batik squares (4 per block), row 2,4 would be black (and so would all triangles)

Would it be easier / quicker / better to use 1 big square for the black sections or 4 pieced together the same as the batiks?

3 Likes

So you do need to cut your triangles from larger squares, but HOW you cut them really matters, and you will need to cut the Corner Triangles and Side Setting Triangles differently!

For the Side Setting Triangles, you want to cut a big square, then bisect it both ways to get 4 triangles out of 1 square. That will give you triangles that are BIAS along the inner cuts, and the Straight of Grain will be along the outside edge of your quilt. This is important! You want the outer edge of your quilt to be nice and straight.

For the Corner Triangles, you need to cut 1 large square, and then bisect in JUST ONE direction. That will mean your two outer edges are on the Straight of Grain.

Jordan Fabrics on YouTube has done a bunch of On Point quilts, but I just grabbed the first simple one for you to watch. You can even skip past making the Log Cabin blocks, and then she’ll get into cutting the Triangles. I picked this video because Log Cabins are traditional blocks, so it’s a free pattern. In some of her videos, if she’s using a paid pattern, she can’t give you the cutting dimensions.

And here’s a good written tutorial about setting blocks On Point.

3 Likes

Thanks. I had watched a tutorial where they had a big square but didn’t take it in!!!

Now to find some fabric.

1 Like

@Mvanrh11 I really like the 2nd block’s colors, it really makes the simple block pop!
And you make some of the same errors I make on the Barrister block, the direction of the HST is tricky. But you really have to study these blocks to see it. I think those of us who tackled this block are brave.
I made mine 10" because I was using up charm squares and the large HST dictated the overall size. This was a learning block for me.

2 Likes

-I MistressJennie , submit my Halloween Quilt Top for my goal list entry .

12 Likes

I love that scrappy border!

2 Likes

You’ve totally nailed this one, I adore the scrappy border

3 Likes

I thought at first that there was so much going on in the quilt that a scrappy border would be too much…WRONG…it actually makes the entire quilt quite lively and pulled together. I just love the entire quilt! The corner blocks are also a lovely detail…I am so glad you were able to include my humble witch hat! I feel like I can give you a hug from afar!

4 Likes

It’s the neutral border that makes the clorful center pop. And accents the blacks/darks in the blocks. Taking a risk paid off. Very, very, spookalish.

3 Likes

Thank you guys! I’m really pleased with how the scrappy border looks. I was worried it would be a hot mess, but I do feel like it ties the scrappy blocks together. There’s a quilt show/fundraiser coming up in the spring, and I’m considering entering it. @endymion invited me to go last year, and it was really fun.

My worry was that the rest of my blocks couldn’t live up to your Witch Hat!

8 Likes