Quiltalong - 2024

You’re so fast!!

1 Like

Cool Lemonade…I like that name for this cheerful quilt!

2 Likes

I. WILL. FOREVER. HATE. PIN. BASTING.

7 Likes

That is lovely!

And I totally agree about the pin basting

4 Likes

As we used to say in costuming, “Done is good. Done is beautiful.”

One quilt down, one insulated tote bag to go…

7 Likes

Which backing did you end up going with?

1 Like

The deep blue. You can see a sliver of it at the center of the picture. It’s the one with a vine print.

5 Likes

It turned out so pretty…you have been a quilting machine these past few months!

2 Likes

Quickly jumping on to get in my April wins.

I mvanrh11, submit this as my Current April BOM

I Mvanrh11, offer scrappy Green quilt blocks for April’s month’s prompt

I mvanrh11, submit Piece the flamingo quilt from Elizabeth Hartman for my goal list entry.

I still need to add boarders to this quilt, but I accidentally put the first one on the wrong way so I needed to unpick it so it is currently sitting in the naughty corner!

9 Likes

I have been thinking of making a picnic blanket but worried about it not being water resistant, is there anything different you do with the quilts you turn in to picnic blankets?

1 Like

I had looked for the backing, but managed to completely miss it until you pointed it out. That blue goes perfectly with the rest of the quilt!

@Mvanrh11, I really like the different colors of your flamingos!

2 Likes

I have that quilt pattern on my to do list! seeing how lovely yours turned out makes me want to move it up the list!

3 Likes

Wow! The flamingos look great! I think taking it from 2 rows of 2, to 3 rows of 3 really made all the difference. And the addition of a third color is perfect.

I know some people do make specifically waterproof/water resistant backed blankets for picnics, but I didn’t bother with this one. I just picked a dark background fabric to help guard against grass stains, but otherwise made a regular quilt. Possibly not as perfectly as I might make a wedding quilt. I did go a bit quick & dirty on this one, but with the understanding that it would be used outside, not placed on display somewhere.

6 Likes

I never bother with waterproof backing either for picnic blankets. A bit of dirt or mud happens.
One idea is to pack along a flannel backed or party plastic table cloth (cheap), or a small tarp for wet ground conditions. The plastic table cloths are light and pack easily. I always take some in the camping gear for wet tables or emergency rain covers.

2 Likes

Today’s progress wasn’t much, though I am very happy with it. (I did manage to get a whole project that had been hanging around my neck done though!) It’s the second side of the insulated tote bag, all from off cut scraps.

6 Likes

I am trally enjoying the ble and yrllow. So perfect spring.

2 Likes

Those squares look so perfectly pieced! I too am a fan of the blue and yellow. It’s such a bright and cheery color combo!

3 Likes

I love that colour scheme, so happy!

2 Likes

May Prompt:
Blue
Sky, teal, navy…if it falls within the blue spectrum, it will work for this prompt!

For the color prompts, the monthly color (or a varitation of that color) needs to be highlighted. This can be done in a variety of ways. For example, if the color is red, you could do a black and white quilt block with a pop of red. You could do a block made up of red scraps. You could make a mug rug that you quilt with red thread. Just have fun and make the monthly color shine!

May BOM:

Amish Star - nominated by @skrutt
Video Tutorial

Quarter 2 Challenge
(April 1 - June 30)
Upcycle:
Reuse fabric that originally started life with a different purpose and incorporate into a quilt project. Old clothes, bed sheets, table cloths, there are so many possibilities. Create a quilt using at least 25% upcycled fabric. Remember, you can opt to make a small, medium, and/or large.

8 Likes

I, AIMR, submit this Friendly Wolf quilt top for the May Prompt:

Definitely blues used in this one. It has been sitting in my WIP pile for a few years.

Lesson learned: Always put the pattern or the book in with the WIP…I had all of the pieces cut but could not find the pattern! It took a lot of sifting through my computer to find it.

Not a great picture, but it shows it is a square quilt, measuring about 50x50.

Close up of the Friendly Wolf fabric.

8 Likes