Quiltalong - 2024

It’s barely noticeable even before it’s quilted. In any case, I wouldn’t call that a mistake, I’d call that ‘making it work and being economical with fabric’. It looks great!

5 Likes

As my daddy used to say “the signs of a great carpenter is in how well they fix their mistakes.”

6 Likes

You guys are the best! Thank you all for your kind words. I really appreciate them!

4 Likes

When I added all the sashing to my flower print quilt, the fabric I had set aside for the backing was now too small. I just finished piecing together some little pieces to make more 5" squares, to make 4 patches to add a strip for lengthening the backing.

It’s quilting, of course we have to make bigger out of smaller. It’s the whole point. :wink:

6 Likes

Piecing…making things fit! :grin: That is the favorite part of the quilt making process for me!

5 Likes

You did a great job @AudiobookLover. People don’t know what it is meant to look like. Sometimes we are our own worst critics cause we have a visual image in our head!

@marionberries that is a great saying from your dad!

4 Likes

Eh, I am having one of those moments with this quilt

I think I am going to unpick all of the quilting I have done so far (7 rows) because I am just not liking it.

This quilt is going to the naughty corner

7 Likes

I like the quilting on this and I particularly love that flamingo block!

4 Likes

Oh my goodness! Kitties!!! I love it! It might be giving you a fuss, but it will be so worth it. That is amazing!

2 Likes

The piecing is gorgeous! After it’s had a tiny little break in the naughty corner, it’s going to be fabulous - you’ll get it back behaving properly!

4 Likes

Quilt is still in the naughty corner- I think it will be out by the tomorrow (mostly given its due to be a cold wet weekend aka perfect quilting weather)

So tonight I finished the May challenges:

I mvanrh11, submit this as my Current May BOM (I found this one very hard for some reason) I had two watch two youtube videos on how to make 8 at a time HST cause the written instructions just wasnt doing it for me.

I Mvanrh11, offer scrappy Blue quilt blocks for May’s month’s prompt

@gozer This is a free pattern from Elizabeth Hartman where each of the cat has their own name (or well 25 cats do, I just made 4 of each). If you want to see the pattern- you can read about it here The Cat Mini Quilt — Patterns by Elizabeth Hartman

@Edel Thank you, yes the flamingo block is one of my favorites too

@jemimah I am hoping the quilt learns its lesson from its stint in the naughty corner.

10 Likes

Oh no! Tomorrow is June and I have not made my May block. Hitting the stash now.

5 Likes

I’m behind on my blocks. Hopefully I’ll catch back up next month.

6 Likes

I love following this thread, even though I’m not very good at completing any of the challenges. I did do a bit of improvised piecing, applique, and hand- and machine quilting to make this little Japanese knot bag this month though :smile:

14 Likes

That bag is beautiful! I love the addition of the handstitching.

2 Likes

This is lovely and so very you

2 Likes

@jemimah , I love your bags and the design and color choices are so lovely!

-I marionberries, submit this as my late, May BOM entry.

Lots of spray starch, 8 at a time HST and paper pieced flying geese. Fun. It’s a nice addition to my star themed lqp quilt.

11 Likes

The stars this month are all so lovely!

All of my fabric is packed so no more fabric projects until probably August!

I’ll just keep admiring what you guys make and hope I can get some quilting in by the end of the year!

6 Likes

@Mvanrh11, I feel you on that quilt mistake! Thank goodness you discovered it when you did and not further down the line! Your cat quilt looks great. I like how the cats are pieces together differently!
Your blue blocks really pop. I know I say it every time, but I’m definitely looking forward to seeing your scrappy color quilt completed!

@marionberries, what a great block! The blues are so bold!

3 Likes

I took this book out of the library (along with about a dozen other quilt books). Most didn’t really catch my attention, but this one was fun. All the projects use 2.5" strips, but none of the blocks were things I’ve seen before (or over and over again on the same ‘ideas for 2.5" strips’ lists).

Strip Your Stash

3 Likes