Quiltalong - 2024

Thanks. I had watched a tutorial where they had a big square but didn’t take it in!!!

Now to find some fabric.

1 Like

@Mvanrh11 I really like the 2nd block’s colors, it really makes the simple block pop!
And you make some of the same errors I make on the Barrister block, the direction of the HST is tricky. But you really have to study these blocks to see it. I think those of us who tackled this block are brave.
I made mine 10" because I was using up charm squares and the large HST dictated the overall size. This was a learning block for me.

2 Likes

-I MistressJennie , submit my Halloween Quilt Top for my goal list entry .

12 Likes

I love that scrappy border!

2 Likes

You’ve totally nailed this one, I adore the scrappy border

3 Likes

I thought at first that there was so much going on in the quilt that a scrappy border would be too much…WRONG…it actually makes the entire quilt quite lively and pulled together. I just love the entire quilt! The corner blocks are also a lovely detail…I am so glad you were able to include my humble witch hat! I feel like I can give you a hug from afar!

4 Likes

It’s the neutral border that makes the clorful center pop. And accents the blacks/darks in the blocks. Taking a risk paid off. Very, very, spookalish.

3 Likes

Thank you guys! I’m really pleased with how the scrappy border looks. I was worried it would be a hot mess, but I do feel like it ties the scrappy blocks together. There’s a quilt show/fundraiser coming up in the spring, and I’m considering entering it. @endymion invited me to go last year, and it was really fun.

My worry was that the rest of my blocks couldn’t live up to your Witch Hat!

8 Likes

You should enter it!! If anything, to give inspiration to others! It is unique and well made…I would love to see it in a show!

4 Likes

I 100% agree with this sentiment! This is such a beautiful quilt and the fact that it’s made up of various blocks rather than a standard pattern can help others realize the potential of making such blocks. I know that I am very inspired by it and it would definitely grab my attention if I saw it at a quilt show!

5 Likes

-I marionberries , offer Scrappy Carpenter’s Star for January’s prompt because of the red family fabrics.

After making my messy Barristers BOM I had some HSTs left over. So welcome this scrappy Carpenter’s Star. Final size finishrd 12". I used the fusible interfacing grid method because working with 2" squares just isn’t my best skill.

14 Likes

@marionberries i absolutely love these colors and fabrics. Beautiful square!

@MistressJennie that border is amazing. I was envisioning it going the other way, this is SO much better. Its fantastic. You should definitely enter it!

1 Like

@marionberries: Absolutely lovely block my friend.

@gozer: At first, I was thinking of the scrappy border going the other direction, but as I was cutting everything down to 2.5" strips, I started to wonder if I had enough to go the other way, which would use more fabric. I cut all the blacks I had, then double checked my stash of 2.5" strips. I had several more in black or black & white, so I decided to just go with it, figuring that if I came up short, I could work in some alternate black strips. But I didn’t need to! I actually have enough left to do a strip down the pieced back too.

As for that, I’m not sure how I feel about improvising a back out of random scraps and blocks made from HST offcuts. Planner-Researcher-Hermione-Jennie, who approaches things with graph paper and precise measurements is really worried about ‘winging it’.

4 Likes

There’s so many beautiful things in this thread already! You are all fabulous!

I’ve still got quilty projects waiting for me here from last year, but I’m hesitant to even set them as goals atm. I didn’t sew much at all in 2023, I’ve been on a painting bender. But I’m still admiring this thread regularly for inspiration!

6 Likes

Making scrappy block bits for the backing of the Halloween quilt.

8 Likes

I love that Halloween is an excuse for purple, orange, and black.

3 Likes

6 Likes

That skeleton fabric is amazing. You really utilized it to the fullest!

1 Like

Thank you! I have virtually no black left after piecing the border and a strip down the back, but I found four 3.5” scrap squares, so I paired them up with what I do have; greys and oranges.

4 Likes

11 Likes