Rainbow Batik Colorwash Quilt

When we switched my DS2 over to a big bed, he and I started planning a big quilt for him…as is tradition. :joy: He wanted it to be a rainbow with lots of pink (currently his favorite color). I showed him a few pictures of rainbow quilts, with designs that I thought would age well (he won’t be five forever). He chose a colorwash quilt (inspiration)…but, “more pink,” he said.

I chose to do a brick path quilt. In order to make laying it out easier, I hung a flat sheet on the wall and pinned each ‘brick’ to that, starting in the center and radiating outward. If I remember correctly, there are 47 different fabrics, plus the borders.

The back of the quilt is also a brick path, but one that has been reclaimed at the edges by a dark ocean of navy blue batik. I just used ‘bricks’ left-over from the top.

I quilted it with the echoed falling star pattern, using a gorgeous blue thread (as requested by my tiny tyrant). The binding is cut from scraps from the top fabrics, attached by machine, but finished by hand (blanket stitch). I still have so much fabric left from this quilt…might have to make another quilt top.

Enough talking, here are the pictures!

Front:

Back:

Details:

In-process:

24 Likes

Wow, this is stunning!!!

1 Like

It’s simply the most stunning eyeful of gorgeous.

1 Like

Absolutely stunning my friend.

1 Like

Thank you all so much! :heart:

This is so incredibly amazing!

1 Like

This is beyond beautiful. I love the way you blended the colors. It’s stunning.

2 Likes

This is stunning! Both the front and the back. That’s one lucky tyrant!

1 Like

Thank you! He is lucky, but so am I…when he’s not bossing me about, he’s pretty sweet.

2 Likes

Geeze, this is amazing! Your stitching and fabric choices are phenomenal.

1 Like

Thank you so much!

Oh my goodness! This is just incredible!

1 Like

Thank you!

I see the word “stunning” in a lot of the comments., that was exactly the word that came to mind for me, too! What a true labor of love! Sure to be cherished.

1 Like

Thank you so much! It was such a fun project, even though it stretched the limits of my attention span.

1 Like

Stunning!

1 Like

BEAUTIFUL - both front and back! I hope he cherishes it forever.

1 Like

Thank you!

Woah.

1 Like

This is quite possibly the most amazing quilt I’ve ever seen. I love all of your additional touches to make it extra special! It’s beautiful!!

1 Like