Rainbow Brite Plastic Wrap Mask Test

I had this idea to make a mask using the plastic wrap fabric transfer method for my blog in a fun bright retro print. Rainbow Brite gave me some inspiration, so I made up this template and tested the design.

I think it was half successful but would change a few things and make this a disposable mask only with no back panel. But I thought I would share here as I will not be putting this version on my webpage and thought you guys might get a kick out of it :smiley:

After sewing on the second layer and pulling through to the correct way out, I felt it creased the paper transfer layer a lot. Due to that, and I don’t think it will wash well, one layer & disposable it is lol I also wouldn’t wear for too long, more for short outings and as a novelty, it’s hot under there :joy:

Let me know what you think, I am thinking a printable 80’s cartoon collection would be cool, maybe even in the rectangle style mask design for a no-sew design

9 Likes

I would totally wear this! :laughing: though I don’t know anything about how plastic wrap transfer works…

I love the idea of an 80s cartoon series!

The plastic wrap is the easiest transfer method I have come across. I am not sure what it is called overseas but in Australia, we call it plastic cling food wrap.
Print out your picture and cut the design. Put 2 layers of the plastic wrap on the front and back and place over your fabric. Iron with a baking paper over the top so the plastic melts it all together.

If you use for t-shirt designs then do a square or rectangle and fold the plastic over the edge so once ironed you have no plastic shine edge.

I think I have more photos on my phone, I will see if any explains better :slight_smile:

Thank you :purple_heart:

4 Likes

Cool! Thank you for the explanation! I can see how all those layers could feel a little steamy when worn lol. But I’d still wear it. And it sure looks cool!!

1 Like

hahaha it sure is hot under there but worth it :joy:

1 Like

@Abbeeroad here are the pictures, hope this helps more

3 Likes

Interesting! I have definitely never tried this before. Now I’ll have to! :laughing:

Thank you!

1 Like

you’re welcome

1 Like

Awesome! I made my two favorite masks out of a Rainbow Brite twin flat-sheet hem, with the basic rectangle and a filter layer inside. Not only is yours a better-made mask, the images on yours are smaller so it’s easier to tell what they are (mine just have segments of characters). 80s cartoon masks should be a thing if they aren’t already. A Care Bear Stare is probably the best wordless message that could be on a mask.

3 Likes

Super cute mask and that technique is neat. I keep thinking of other things I could use it for.

1 Like

Yes, 80s cartoon series FTW. I found a sewn table runner at the thrift store that was made from ORIGINAL Strawberry Shortcake fabric. I’m pretty over the moon about it.

2 Likes

YES!!

3 Likes

haha omg yes yes for the Care Bear Stare, that one would be good for me to wear to work :rofl:

I love making stuff with sheets but I agree with you, hate how the patterns are sometimes so big, hard to make small things with them

1 Like

Thank you, yeah the technique is so quick, possibilities endless :blush:

wow that’s a good find, I love thrift store finds!

1 Like

I love Rainbow Brite! And I am intrigued by this transfer technique, definitely saving it to try later!

1 Like

This is so cute! I had no idea you could create a coated panel like this with cling wrap but now I want to try!

1 Like

@Pookie & @Ziggyblackstar I’m happy I could share this technique for you all to try. Have fun with it, good luck :blush:

I’m having trouble understanding the technique.

Is this paper with a layer of plastic on each side, or does the image transfer to fabric or something?

If it’s plastic-coated, can any air get through?
Seems like a fun technique for something, but non-breathable masks seems counter intuitive.

ETA
I googled. Read three blogs. Everybody calls it transfer, and nobody tells you if the print goes face up or face down. So I found a YouTube, which shows the technique clearly. (Layer fabric-plastic wrap-face up picture-plastic wrap-parchment paper, then iron)
It’s really not a transfer, it’s a stick-plastic-coated-paper-to-fabric technique.
It didn’t survive the washing machine on that video, but she used a whole sheet of paper (small pieces might work better), and applied it to a tee shirt (stretchy fabric + not stretchy paper = problems). And maybe she didn’t iron enough. Sewing around the edges would certainly help.

Nice to learn a new technique!

1 Like

Yes, it mostly washes well on smaller projects in cold water, hand washed. I think it’s more for quick projects and a cheap way to get pictures onto fabric. It’s very thick when on the fabric like the t-shirt transfer paper you buy from the shops that you iron on, which also do not wash the best

Works well on non-stretchy fabric like cotton. You can sew through it but it would need to be long stitches to not put too many holes in the paper :blush:

Let me know how you go if you try this :heavy_heart_exclamation: