Rainbow Forest Landscape Embroidery

I made this piece for a personal swap with @photojenn. It was heavily inspired by a piece that we had both pinned. Shimunia is an amazing artist and her pieces practically move, they look so surreal. I’m trying to get better at landscape embroidery, and imitating masterpieces is a good way to learn (painters do it).

I used a wool-blend felt to stitch on, which is a lot easier to work with than woven fabric. And there’s about 28 colors of embroidery floss. I marked off the perspective lines in thread before starting. I finished the back with a fun bit of leopard-print linen.

In-process:

24 Likes

Thanks for sharing your in progress pics! wow…now I see all those colors in the final picture…fantastic job getting the perspective and so much detail in such a chunky type of stitching…

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, it’s hard to properly photograph some of those colors. And, I was going for an impressionistic brush stroke kind of style.

1 Like

Absolutely lovely!

1 Like

You achieved it!

1 Like

WOW! You really have a talent for this style you’re exploring! I hope you share all your future creations, because it will be a joy to watch your progress.

1 Like

Oh this is gorgeous - such a great mix of colours. There are depths and layers and feelings in there.

1 Like

Absolutely gorgeous! Love this style and you are nailing it!

1 Like

Thank you, everyone!

Just beautiful! Thanks for linking the artist, I enjoyed the scroll through all the pieces!

1 Like

What a gorgeous hoop! Love seeing how it came together, step by step.

1 Like

Gorgeous! This officially looks like you used a paintbrush to paint on the thread. Thanks for sharing your tip about the wool-blend felt for the background!

1 Like

Wow, that is AMAZING!

1 Like

How pretty! I love the rainbow of floss you used. You’re quite skilled at this style. I really look forward to seeing future landscapes!

1 Like

Embroidering on a coloured background is SO SMART! Everything about this is awesome.

1 Like

So beautiful

1 Like

do pretty!

1 Like