Rainbow Pencils Shirt

First day of school shirt.

Pattern is McCalls 7360 with neckline modifications and added collar. (I’m SO HAPPY with the pencils on the collar!)

Fabric is Colored Pencils Novelty Cotton from Joann.

21 Likes

Another great make with masterful pattern placement! And perfect for the first day of school.

1 Like

So good! This is my favourite shirt of yours ever!

1 Like

This is superb! Looks so good on too :hugs:
What do you teach?

1 Like

She teaches kids how to be snappy dressers! :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Chef’s kiss! It looks marvelous!

1 Like

@PrincessP I’m an elementary librarian. I wear only novelty prints at school.

4 Likes

This is FANTASTIC !!

I think it’s such a great thing, only wearing novelty prints.

2 Likes

Another epic @ceep masterpiece!

1 Like

Perfectly done as always. Looks nice and comfortable too!

1 Like

The kids at your school MUST love you!!

1 Like

@Bunny1kenobi I definitely get stopped in the hall by kids asking, “What’s on your socks?”

One day we had “wacky outfit day” so I wore all grey. Grey shirt, grey pants, grey belt, grey socks, grey shoes. THAT took the kids a minute. I had a good laugh at the one who said, “Ohhhhh…I see what you did there” as she walked past me, and I heard her in the distance explaining it to her friend.

8 Likes

That’s hysterical!

1 Like

@Bunny1kenobi It was amazing how depressed I felt wearing this.

5 Likes

This is PERFECT way to de-novelty your outfit! It reminds me of something from over a decade ago when one of my friends was turning 50. His wife was in her late mid-late 30s and they had two early elementary daughters. Mom was planning a birthday party and thought asked the girls if they thought it would be fun if people dressed like when daddy was little - thinking late 1960s and early 1970s garb. But the older said, “No, that would be boring.” Mom asked why she thought that and the girl said something about, “all that grey and black and white” not being very fun. HAHAHA! So, that is what we all wore! Way easier to put together than a 70s outfit for a picnic potluck!

4 Likes

t must have been so difficult to get all of those pencils to match up on the various pieces of your shirt. Meticulously made! I bet it’ll last for a long time… more so than factory garments made nowadays.
Btw, I LOVE being an elementary school library volunteer! What grade does yours go up to? The school I volunteer at goes to fifth. I want to help the librarian at my son’s school, but she hasn’t responded to my fabulous email. His goes up to sixth.

3 Likes

@irid3sc3nt Well, I had plenty of fabric for a change, so it wasn’t too difficult. It was more a matter of deciding WHAT I wanted on each piece than scrabbling around to try to fit the pattern pieces on the fabric.

My school is PreK-8 but I only teach lower school (PreK-5).

3 Likes

I love the way you broke up the back top panel to go both ways too. Your shirts are always such fun!

1 Like

@gozer
I try to be thoughtful about what the yoke is going to look like. Sometimes I pick a motif to go in the center.

Like these books…

Or this person…

Sometimes I walk the print both ways.

Like the pencils, or these bugs.

3 Likes

Very cool!

1 Like