Raku Burst Pot

What a gorgeous piece! And sounds like a fun time, too. The art show I go to every year has Raku demonstrations and I always love seeing what comes out of the fire. :fire:

1 Like

Beautiful! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Fascinating!
Thanks for detailing the process

1 Like

Lovely!!! You got a good amount of fire in the glaze!! :smiley:

Years ago (many) I took a ceramics course at Pewabic Pottery (known for their art deco & art nouveau tiles as well as their special glazes) and we got to do some Raku!! It was a lot of fun.

1 Like

That’s pretty and I liked seeing the pics and learning about your technique. I also liked the pot when it was green but the Raku-fired version is still better.

2 Likes

I’ve cooled pottery both ways. As you witnessed with your casserole mishap, there’s a huge risk when rinsing due to thermal shock. To be honest, we were a bit impatient and wanted to go kayaking so I sprayed my pot down :face_with_peeking_eye: which also stops the glaze from reacting to the environment any further.

We have a small kiln at home, but I’m a full time high school ceramics teacher and have access to their equipment. You can see my Ceramics Classroom here.

3 Likes

Love, love, love how this style demands your involvement in the entire process.

Can you believe I fire pottery like this with my teenage students.

3 Likes

Now I am REALLY jealous! What a fun job! That’s super fun!!!

3 Likes

Your high school has a whole class devoted to ceramics?? I’m quite envious. If I want to do it now I have to take a class through my rec center. I’m considering it.

This piece is just lovely, stunning, awesome, marvelous, gorgeous, you name it. I like how you left the exposed part to showcase the differences. Do you use your pots or are they purely decorative?

3 Likes

This is stunning. Love that finish.

3 Likes

Think of Raku as decorative, not functional (functional in the pottery world means food safe). During the firing process, the thermal shock can cause the clay and glaze to crack or craze. Many Raku glazes contain metal oxides like chromium oxide, copper, and lead. Those materials are toxic if consumed, and can leach out of the pottery making it unsafe to place food or liquid. So this beauty is sitting on my mother’s mantel full of pennies collected over the years :amphora:

3 Likes

Ah, good to know. My pottery knowledge is pretty much nil other than I appreciate it.

2 Likes

Right? When I was in high school, we had art and there was a dusty old kiln over in the corner. He fired it maybe twice a year. :laughing:

At her school, each student needs at least one art credit, and it can be from any of the arts (fine arts, performance, etc.). They have photography (with a dark room! :heart_eyes:), art, and ceramics. The classes are 90 minutes long, too, which is amazing.

6 Likes

Ugh, I’m SO ENVIOUS! :green_heart:

2 Likes

Hey, you don’t live far from us. If you are ever in AZ, we’ll make it a playdate (with fire)! :smile:

3 Likes

I am coming to AZ for geowoodstock in May… but not enough time in the day!
Another trip must happen!

2 Likes

:black_heart: :fire: :amphora: Congratulations! Your radiant Raku Burst Pot is a Featured Project this week! :amphora: :fire: :black_heart:

P.S. I used my magic Mod powers to make the first photo in your post, the pot itself, so that is what will show up in our Featured Project banner at the top of the site. If you wish to change it back after this week is up, please feel free!

3 Likes

Beautiful results! I’ve taken pottery classes in the past but never had the chance to do raku. I love the shimmer and iridescence!

1 Like

Stunning pottery!

1 Like

That is so lovely! I adore seeing the process pics and learning how the pot was made. Thank you for sharing that!

1 Like