Raku Burst Pot

I taught @sweets4ever how to raku! :fire: I love raku. It’s probably my favorite pottery technique. You just never know how the fire and smoke are going to dance around the piece, or exactly what the final result will be.

Safety first. :laughing:

Peeking into the raku kiln.

We fire the pieces to 1850 -1875 degrees F, using a pyrometer to monitor the progress.

With traditional firings, you’d wait for the kiln to completely cool before accessing your pottery. For raku, we need to get the pieces while they are still at full temperature, so they combust the materials in the trash can. So the raku kiln has a pulley mechanism directly above it, which allows the lid to raise up and reveal the pieces. It makes it easier to grab them with the tongs and not meet our demise. :flushed:

From here, we remove the pieces with long metal tongs and pray to the kiln gods that we don’t drop and smash them on the way to the can. :laughing:

Into the super fancy metal trash can they go for reduction. :fire:

For this firing, we used crumpled newspaper as the combustible. All sorts of materials can be used for this step and they each create a different result. Pine needles, wood shavings, sawdust, horse hair, cloth, etc. can be used.

After the piece has reduced, we remove it with tongs once again (it’s still extremely hot) and rinse it. Then we scrub and polish it to remove any remaining ash, soot, etc. This step really reveals the shimmer and shine of the glazes.

The black area on the neck is where no glaze was applied. It’s colored with the flame & smoke itself. The belly of the pot is a glaze called Raku Burst.

41 Likes

Yum, I love raku!

1 Like

Thank you for teaching me!! I love that glaze, too.

And bonus, we got to smell like a campfire the rest of the day. :grin:

6 Likes

Yay! (I need to play with this sometime! someone on instagram had a tiny microwave kiln for raku, which seems a tiny bit less scary to start off with…)

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing the details of how this was done, I’ve never heard of that technique before and I am in awe of the final product. It’s beautiful!

2 Likes

We’ve been watching The Great Pottery Throwdown and they often do a raku challenge. Your pot is amazingly beautiful and you got to play with fire.
It is a work of art.

4 Likes

I love watching this technique. I too saw it in The Great Pottery Throwdown.
Thanks for sharing your awesome pictures and tutorial!
That pot is gorgeous.

3 Likes

Looking at the pictures, I thought the pot was pretty coming out of the kiln when it was green. What a beautiful transformation. I love the iridescent glaze. It’s stunning.

1 Like

That is absolutely gorgeous! I love Raku pieces. I have a few questions:

1. Before rinsing, do you have to let it cool down like you would with a glass pan out of the oven? I once put a hot glass bowl into the sink after it had been super hot and it cracked. I’m just wondering if that’s the same with pottery.
  2. Do you belong to a clay club or do you have your own kiln? I’m jealous either way. :wink:
2 Likes

Wow, that’s awesome!

1 Like

Wow, you girls are hot. Like 2000 degrees hot, lol.
I’ve never heard of raku. I first read it, rakuten, lol.

1 Like

Hahaha!

5% cashback :laughing:

2 Likes

I’ve not heard of raku before, thanks for sharing! The results are very pretty!

1 Like

I am always intimidated by pottery, but this is something else…. It looks so dangerous and so spectacular :face_with_peeking_eye: brave women :+1:t2:

Love the pot, sp pretty :orange_heart:

1 Like

What a gorgeous piece! And sounds like a fun time, too. The art show I go to every year has Raku demonstrations and I always love seeing what comes out of the fire. :fire:

1 Like

Beautiful! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Fascinating!
Thanks for detailing the process

1 Like

Lovely!!! You got a good amount of fire in the glaze!! :smiley:

Years ago (many) I took a ceramics course at Pewabic Pottery (known for their art deco & art nouveau tiles as well as their special glazes) and we got to do some Raku!! It was a lot of fun.

1 Like

That’s pretty and I liked seeing the pics and learning about your technique. I also liked the pot when it was green but the Raku-fired version is still better.

2 Likes

I’ve cooled pottery both ways. As you witnessed with your casserole mishap, there’s a huge risk when rinsing due to thermal shock. To be honest, we were a bit impatient and wanted to go kayaking so I sprayed my pot down :face_with_peeking_eye: which also stops the glaze from reacting to the environment any further.

We have a small kiln at home, but I’m a full time high school ceramics teacher and have access to their equipment. You can see my Ceramics Classroom here.

3 Likes