Raven Scrappy Tote & Pouch

I used to sew all the time and about a year and a half ago, I stopped. I started doing other crafts because my cat was sick and I was trying to find things I could do while sitting with him. I still loved sewing, though. I just got out of the rhythm. Then @artsycandice asked me to partner in the IYP swap and asked for a tote with pockets. I instantly knew I had to use this style from @marionberries. I didn’t quilt as much around, but I interfaced to keep it steady.

I know ArtsyCandice likes owls, but an owl silhouette was too tricky and I went with the Raven. It looks a lot likeThe Crow. Sorry about that. I tried to minimize it. Originally, I was going to make the bag in burgundy, but I thought that was too goth-looking. I liked the olive color I found and thought it worked well.
This was my first time sewing a bag without a pattern. I was super intimidated at first, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as I had it hyped up in my head. I used vinyl for the bottom of the bag and the handles. I think vinyl handles hold up better than fabric for me. The problem with them is that they slide off my shoulder. To avoid this, I lined the backs with cotton fabric. I did this with a purse I made my Mom and she really liked it.

I sewed a bunch of tiny scraps of black fabrics together to form the raven. I love the effect it gave! I put the image on both sides.

The bag has a front slip pocket, an interior slip pocket, and an interior zippered pocket. I also gave it a thick interfaced bottom so that it keeps it shape.

Sorry for so many pictures. I was excited to sew again. And thank you marionberries for sharing the tutorial and both you and ArtsyCandice for inspiring me.

30 Likes

This tote is freakin’ fabulous! I love the raven!

2 Likes

It’s gorgeous! I love it. You did a great job.

2 Likes

It’s completely awesome. I love the technique of piecing the black scraps.

2 Likes

That is awesome! I love the raven image and the black fabric technique adds so much depth. Yay for picking up on my technique…which I picked up from somewhere else anyway.
The detail on the bag is wonderful. It is a stunning piece.

2 Likes

You sure picked a fabulous way to get back into sewing! Love everything about the bag…the color is versatile and the crow…just gorgeous…

2 Likes

This bag is phenomenal. I love how you took yourself out of your comfort zone and tried some new things!

1 Like

What an amazing tote!

2 Likes

That’s super cool!

2 Likes

This turned out so utterly cool! I love the black strap contrast with the green and your scrappiness is on point!

2 Likes

I cannot love this enough!

2 Likes

This is gorgeous. I would carry it every day!

2 Likes

Absolutely awesome!! Love the contrast of the olive fabric. Using vinyl to increase durability is genius as is the fabric lining on the straps. And I love the accompanying pouch!

2 Likes

The silhouette came out really well, and congratulations on getting back into sewing! :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! This was so much fun to do and I missed sewing so much. I need to plan another project soon. We need to fill the Bag section of this site up! :heart: :green_heart:

1 Like

GORGEOUS!!! Just fab, wow.

2 Likes

I love the colors, the raven, the whole asthetic (it warms my goth heart!) and POCKETS!:heart:

2 Likes

I love the color and the design. Swoon!

2 Likes

Absolutely love this tote. Great job on the reverse applique as well as the multiple features. So well done!

2 Likes

I love, love, love this bag!
And how great that you are sewing again!

2 Likes