Rebel Alliance Ticker Tape Mug Rug

I made this little mug rug for a fellow LCer in exchange for a very awesome Leia portrait. :wink:

I was inspired by the ticker tape quilting style for the rebel alliance symbol. I definitely want to do more of this!

I played around with quilting some stars off to the side. The back is some fun Vader fabric.

It was a little hard to send away, but worth it for the exchange. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

30 Likes

I absolutely LOVE this - and it’s mine!!! I am so excited to have it. The ticker tape style is fantastic. You got the colors perfect. Every time I try something like this, I paint myself into a corner with the colors. It is perfect! Agreed, you should do more. And I love the stars on the side. They turned out so cool. The back fabric is awesome too!
Thank you so much! This is incredible!!!

6 Likes

This is very, very cool! The scrappiness of the patches in the symbol suit the scrappiness of the Rebels just right.

4 Likes

@gozer - I’m so glad you like it!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Truth! :raised_hands:

4 Likes

Beautiful! The stars are so great. Did you use a special foot or just regular stop, turn, go?

I almost tagged you when I saw Leia was up for grabs, lol. We sure do get a feel for what everybody likes around here :smile:

5 Likes

Just stop, turn, go! I haven’t re-tried to use my fancy feet on the Bernina yet. I’ll get there!

Oh, I snagged her right away! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

This came out so great!

2 Likes

Super cool! I love the star stitching especially.

2 Likes

This is so cool and totally has the stamp of your personal scrappy style!

3 Likes

This is pretty cool. I have always struggled to work out how to bring non-crafty peoples thing into something crafty for gifts, that I think they would appreciate. The more I see on this amazing site, the more inspired I get to be brave and just do it.

4 Likes

Yesss! Do it!

1 Like

:horse: YEEHAW! Your fantastic craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

I love ticker tape, remember @sheepBlue 's MAQs from years ago? Amazing technique.
I’m totally inspired to make something, got any tips or tricks @Abbeeroad ?

3 Likes

Ah! Thank you!

And funny you should mention @sheepBlue, @Magpie, she was my consultant on this! We had a zoom crafternoon and I asked her a bunch of questions about her ticker tape quilts. It also helps that I have one of her quilts hanging on my wall for reference.

A few things I did:

• Printed out the symbol the size I wanted and worked with fitting fabric bits in that template. (I later transferred this to my fabric with a water soluble pen and realized later I could have saved myself a step and started on the fabric rather than paper. D’oh!)
  • (tip from sheep) Start from the center out.
  • (tip from sheep) Cut pieces as you go, molding pieces to what you already have vs trying to make existing shapes work (she sewed each piece as she went, but I taped them down on my template first)
  • (suggestion from sheep) Glue down your scraps to your background fabric before sewing. I thought I’d have to hand-sew these tiny pieces but the glue helped keep everything in place so well I was able to machine stitch. I used mod podge.
3 Likes

Ooh, thanks for these tips! Ticker tape is one of those things I want to try some day!

I love that you chose the rebel symbol! Perfect for @gozer!

2 Likes

Absolutely positively stunningly lovely! Everything about this is amazing, right down to the contrast between the black and red and the scrappy symbol. Gozer is a lucky, lucky (but well deserving for sending you that awesome portrait) person to receive this amazingness.

2 Likes