Ticker Tape "Falling Stars" Mini Art Quilt

I was mulling over ideas for a personal swap and feeling a bit stuck until @MistressJennie posted a link to a little star shower quilt and shortly afterwards @Abbeeroad posted a ticker tape mug rug she made, then I knew just what I wanted to try! It helped that I had a pile of newly acquired batik fabrics sitting on the table, they are so inspiring just to look at. It was really fun playing with placement.

The pieces were backed with fusible webbing then adhered to the black fabric. I figured out a stitching pattern that covered each edge just once for all the squares, then another round for the points leaving a single row of stitching around every piece of fabric.

Some random geometric lines in the empty spaces, then the binding of scrappy bits a la @TheMistressT. So you see, this was inspired by many of the crafters here which is my absolute favourite sort of project. The making and giving of such an object feels very community connected to me. I just love that :sparkling_heart:

28 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

This turned out soooo cooool! The colors really pop on that background!

2 Likes

Itโ€™s lovely! The Honey Bun of fabrics I ordered for mine just arrived, and itโ€™s batiks too. Great minds! LOL

1 Like

Thanks, friends! So many of my projects would never come to be without the inspiration from the talented folks here. Pinterest is nothing compared to this group!
Jennie, are you making the quilt you linked or another pattern with that batik? Itโ€™s such gorgeous fabric, I just canโ€™t get enough of it.

1 Like

Iโ€™m making the pattern that I posted, Little Star Showers by Robin Pickens. Hereโ€™s the Honey Bun (1.5" strips) I bought:

It calls for 4 groupings of 6 fabrics each. Each strip in the Honey Bun is repeated, so some of the groupings I either need to repeat a fabric, or find 1 more to fill that in. Iโ€™m thinking Iโ€™ll pick up 1/8 yard of 4-5 colors at my local quilt store, to help round out the rainbow a bit. The reds are all very tomato-red, and I could use a true red, and a burgundy. Iโ€™d love another shade of purple in the mix, a dark teal, a paler yellow, etc. And I need to get the background fabrics and something for the star points anyways.

3 Likes

This sounds like very exciting shopping and sewing! Iโ€™m looking forward to seeing it :blush:

3 Likes

I love the patchwork scrappiness of this! I agree that the dark background really makes the colors shine. It sounds like the technique you used would be a lot quicker than piecing.

It also sounds like you had to solve a bit of a puzzle to figure out how to outline all those squares without ever stitching on top of a previously stitched line. Iโ€™ve attempted to figure it out a couple of times, but havenโ€™t come up with the solution yet :thinking:. It looks really good!

2 Likes

I love this! Colorful stars in a night sky.

1 Like

This is really beautiful.

1 Like

Absolutely stunning! The black background is the perfect offset to those gorgeous fabrics. And I love that I helped inspire someone who is personal source of inspiration! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Oh, Abbee, I blush! My gosh :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Itโ€™s so pretty, I love it!! I just put it up on my wall this evening :). Thank you again for swapping with me!

1 Like

Itโ€™s great!
And how lovely that you combined different LC membersโ€™ techniques.

1 Like

This is gorgeous.

1 Like

Thank you for all the lovely compliments. Honestly, itโ€™s the batik that makes this project so great. It is such fabulous fabric with all that yummy colour & texture. Iโ€™m figuring out what to do with it next!

What a gorgeous art quilt! I love the bright stars in contrast to the dark background. So beautiful!