Red velvet MUSHROOM dotee dude

Made for a swap, I liked this dude a lot and wanted to keep him with me.

The hands are fairly stiff wire, thread wrapped.

Lots of elements used like velvet, beads and sequins, embroidery thread, yarn, wire, glue, doll eyes, lace.

Not shown, a little jade green teardrop bead got sewn to the bottom last minute before shipping, a sort of nod to traditional dotees.

23 Likes

I remember her, and boy did I want her. Like, DESPERATELY wanted her. It was not a fine moment of mine.

The eyes, the marks, the spots, the ruffles, the wrapped arms. the FINGERS. the base. (now iā€™m just listing all the parts).

le sigh.

I want all the things.

:shamrock: :metal: :four_leaf_clover:

EDIT: wait, what does a jade green teardrop have to do with dotees? I need the knowledge!

3 Likes

Traditionally dotees have tailsā€¦

@Magpie loving your mushroom goodnessā€¦this little dude is awesomeā€¦once again, the details you put into each oneā€¦the French knots around the baseā€¦wonderful happy project

2 Likes

Still a favorite. :green_heart:

2 Likes

A dotee has a tail?

Iā€™m genuinely trying to understand this. Like a TAIL, TAIL? or a tail (as in drapery things like fringe hanging down)?

2 Likes
2 Likes

I never knew I needed a mushroom dote until now.

4 Likes

hey hey, now. donā€™t try to jump the line. If mushroom dotees are being issued, I get mine first!

4 Likes

Okay, iā€™m off to check this out. Thank you AIMR!

1. Iā€™ve been saying these wrong for FOREVER
  2. This seems like another case of Csters loving something, that doesnā€™t seem very popular elsewhere. (e.g. HOW HAVE PEOPLE NOT FOUND TM PATCHES!!!??)
  3. It really is called a tail. But it seems to be treated more like fringe.
3 Likes

You would be great at making these dollsā€¦they are fun and they have evolved over the yearsā€¦I prefer the original and traditional for most of the well known crafts, but I sure enjoy seeing the creativity from the original as wellā€¦artists like @magpie blend the two and make fabulous things like this!!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve already opened 2 other pages from the one you sent.

ALSO, from my edited comment above:

#4. MONSTER DOTEES??? um? YASSSSSSSSSSSSS

4 Likes

Whew, itā€™s not just me, then. Although clearly theyā€™re doted on, so at least my dote-ee logic was sound.

3 Likes

YES! Thatā€™s how I was saying it as well! Although, I donā€™t know I will stop.

2 Likes

Yaā€™ll, did you know there was an online doll making club at some point? https://bloomingwyldeiris.blogspot.com/2009/03/dotee-dolls.html

The early aughts had so much happening. There was also a huge flicker embroidery group for making the monthly Bad Birds patterns.

2 Likes

I was saying it wrong too. Who knew?
Wanted to say I love yours. Especially the little embroidery touches around the eye that give him such an expressive look. Itā€™s the little touches like that, that set your work apart.

2 Likes

OMG, same!

This is wonderful. I love his arms and hands!!

3 Likes

I love this little dude.

2 Likes

He is so cute, love all the little details.

1 Like

ha ha I think I will always say it wrong because my brain likes the sound of DOE-tee much better than DA-teeā€¦thank goodness we mostly just have to type it and not say it aloud!

2 Likes

I say doe-tee too.

3 Likes