Retro 1940s apron

This apron is made using the Simplicity 8232 pattern, I only changed a few minor details. Everything is from stash, it was really such a great coincidence that I had matching fabric, bias tape and sewing thread!

22 Likes

That’s so pretty - you have such a knack for retro flair!

1 Like

So pretty and sweet!

1 Like

Awesome! Love that bias tape on the ruffle! Way to use that stash.

1 Like

So adorable! Love the retro feel, and the sweet fabric print.

1 Like

My grandma always used to wear aprons, she even carried one in her handbag. And she used to have pretty ones. So this is a small tribute. I know she would have laughed very hard about that. And she was very frugal, growing up during the Depression, so she would have appreciated all of this coming from stash. I think the floral fabric was bought by me but everything else is gifted by my thrift store obsessed friend or inherited.

I love the trim and the ruffle, they really give that vintage feel. I’m not completely happy with the ruffle - according to the pattern it should be stitched on to the apron 2 inch from the top, I already moved it up at least half an inch but it’s still falling over. Next time I’m going to the store I’m buying starch to see if that works. I really don’t want the ruffle to fall over, but I also really don’t want to take it off and sew it back on for the 3d time. The bias tape makes the top of the ruffle fairly heavy and the floral fabric is quite thin.

3 Likes

I think the ruffle looks cute. This is absolutely adorable.

1 Like

Super cute! Love the little heart pocket also!

2 Likes

I love it!

I have very fond memories of my great grandmother wearing small floral aprons…in fact, I have a hard time remembering when she didn’t wear one!

I love the pop of the blue bias binding…nice job…and nice tribute to your own grandma…

1 Like

Ruffle love!

1 Like

That coincidence was meant to be! It’s fabulous!

1 Like

I love it! My grandma also always wore an apron, so it’s nostalgic for me, too. Great job!

1 Like

Cute, stash-busting, and practical!
There if my favorite things all in one. Add in the nostalgia and it is an all around winner of a project!

1 Like

Everyone’s grandma was wearing aprons, it seems, but then in a very short time period that habit completely died out for the next generation. I know my (Boomer) mother wears one to protect her clothing while cooking, but she would never even consider answering the door in one, let alone wear it all day. Her apron is a secret, not a uniform she was proud to wear.

Mr Imma said “I know you like 40s fashion and I understand the nostalgic aspect, but don’t you think this is a bit much?” :smile:

1 Like

Love, love, love the fabric and piping!

1 Like

This is adorable! I do love a vintage/vintage style apron myself and this is especially sweet since it is an ode to your grandmother.

1 Like