Vintage style apron Simplicity 8232 - Take a Bite 2022 Challenge Entry

I was inspired by the TAKE A BITE OUT OF YOUR STASH - Weekend Challenge to finish this entire project from stash in a weekend. I don’t think I can relate the theme of this project to the challenge theme, but it still gave me the inspiration to finally start (and finish) this project.

Not too long before the plague, a friend of a friend moved abroad. She got rid of a significant part of her stash before the move and my friend claimed a few pieces of fabric for me. It was very generous that she let me have it and that my friend thought of me, but the fabric itself has a cream-ish background and it looks terrible on me. It makes me look ill. So it ended up in the stash. The fabric was about 1,5 yard and this apron used up around 1 yard with leftovers.

Around the same time I bought the Simplicity 8232 pattern (and used it to make this project: Retro 1940s apron ) and I made vague plans to use this fabric for an apron. For an apron it doesn’t really matter if the fabric suits my complexion, it’s just a practical piece of clothing. I spill lots of things so I always try to wear an apron in the kitchen.

I had Covid last week so I wanted an easy weekend project to get back into sewing and then I thought of this. I found a matching green thread but unfortunately no contrasting fabrics, bias tape, trim or anything. I really wanted to make this entire project from stash but I do think it would have looked nicer with a pretty trim on top or contrasting pockets.

I also changed the pattern a little bit. The Simplicity pattern chooses to not hem around the apron, but advises bias tape around all edges. Apart from not having any matching bias tape, I think sewing bias tape around all edges would be more difficult than simply hemming, and I think that it would really affect the drape of the apron if you’re using a light weight cotton like I am.

I used French seams, as recommended in the pattern, which really gives a more professional result despite not being more difficult than a regular seam.

Unfortunately, due to the print and lack of trim or stand-out thread colours, the pockets kind of disappear. These side pockets are very convenient though! I never follow a pattern on the placement of pockets, buttons and the like. I just try the garment on and pin it in the best place. I used that same method for the placement of the apron ties.

All in all, sewing this took me maybe 1,5 hours from start to finish. It was really easy to sew. The only thing I dislike about it is how busy the print is without any kind of contrasting fabrics or trims. If I was going to make a “pretty” apron I would have gone to the shop to buy some, but I really wanted this to be a practical, from-stash project.

24 Likes

I think your decision to hem and not use bias tape was a good one! It would affect the drape and feel of the apron.

Since you are using this apron in the kitchen, I think the simple style with little embellishment is fine! It will protect your clothing while cooking and doing crafts and you won’t even feel any weight from it. I like it!

3 Likes

Congratulations on getting this done! It’s great that you were able to use the gifted fabric and use only-stash! The cut looks comfortable and flattering, so even with out the contrast pockets or bias tape, it is a little more than just a workhorse apron!

2 Likes

It’s lovely! You should totally enter it in the Challenge. :heart:

1 Like

Yes, definitely change the name of the post (and whatever else you may need to do) to enter it in the challenge! I don’t think it was intended to force everyone to make sharks or anything.

I love the sweet little roses on the fabric and your apron is very pretty just as it is. Great tip about pocket placement, too!

1 Like

I thought everyone did that, until I was sewing with a friend and she was spending a lot of time making sure the pockets were exactly where the pattern said they should be!

1 Like

It looks great! Customizing for fit, pocket placement etc is advanced thinking for the hobby sewist, make no mistake. Lots of people believe they must do every step exactly as dictated. It’s a revelation to figure out just how much can be changed!
You could always add some nice contrasting hand embroidery here & there as after-the-fact trim.

3 Likes

very pretty!
Does it have seams over the bust, making it a princess line? How cool and flattering that would be!

Maybe it’s time you learned to make your own bias tape! @TheMistressT inspired me to try it; it’s much simpler than I expected. And you can have any color or pattern you want…from stash!

2 Likes

It’s addictive!

1 Like

Yes, it has seams over the bust! They’re French seams so they look nice from the inside. It’s indeed pretty flattering for an apron. Those vintage aprons usually are. I hadn’t considered hand embroidery, but I had been looking for a contrasting thread so I could do some fancy machine stitches in some places. I was very surprised to find I didn’t have any brown thread. I thought I had all the colours in my stash but clearly not dark brown.

I didn’t have the right contrasting fabric, otherwise I definitely would have made my own bias tape, I’ve done that a lot. Actually I made about 10 yards the other day in an attempt to finish a long-term WIP (status of that project: all the bias tape is now hand-basted in place and I’m trying to gather the courage to sew it, with all those layers it won’t be fun).

1 Like

Great use of a stash, and i think it is pretty.

1 Like

Its really pretty fabric! Looks good in apron form.

You can always add little embellishments later

1 Like

Lovely! Those pockets do look perfectly placed.

1 Like

It’s so pretty! I love the vintage look of it.

1 Like

Really pretty! I love those older full-coverage aprons. They didn’t mess around back in the day! :smile:

1 Like

I don’t blame them for wearing large aprons, they had to do laundry by hand! :laughing:

I was partially raised by my grandma and she was very strict about wearing aprons, she always carried one in her handbag. Even if I was just reheating soup or something she’d make me put one on. And she’s right, every time I’m in the kitchen and I don’t wear an apron I end up regretting it! I’m way too messy.

3 Likes

:star: Congratulations! Your awesome project is one of this week’s featured projects! :star:

3 Likes

I keep coming back to both your apron projects, it’s such a cute design I think I want one for myself. I’ve been looking for the pattern & sheesh, it’s hard to find. Sometimes purchasing from Canada is a big pain in the butt, and the wallet too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Maybe I can wing it. I might end up with a few not-so-great versions while working out the fit. Wish me luck!

1 Like

You of all people can totally wing both of them! This one is a princess line in three pieces (front piece middle and two sides) and the pockets go into the seam. The other one is basically a square-ish piece and two big rectangles with the pockets sewn on and would be even easier.

It’s sometimes hard to find American patterns brands here as well, but I’ve found one website that often has discounts on the vintage-style patterns. This pattern was great for inspiration and getting the basic shape of the apron right, but I felt I still had to change quite a few things. The apron ties were supposed to be a single layer of fabric with bias tape? Bias tape all around and no hemming? Sizing is also an issue, even though the stereotype is that Americans are large, the patterns are often tiny!

1 Like