I was inspired by the TAKE A BITE OUT OF YOUR STASH - Weekend Challenge to finish this entire project from stash in a weekend. I don’t think I can relate the theme of this project to the challenge theme, but it still gave me the inspiration to finally start (and finish) this project.
Not too long before the plague, a friend of a friend moved abroad. She got rid of a significant part of her stash before the move and my friend claimed a few pieces of fabric for me. It was very generous that she let me have it and that my friend thought of me, but the fabric itself has a cream-ish background and it looks terrible on me. It makes me look ill. So it ended up in the stash. The fabric was about 1,5 yard and this apron used up around 1 yard with leftovers.
Around the same time I bought the Simplicity 8232 pattern (and used it to make this project: Retro 1940s apron ) and I made vague plans to use this fabric for an apron. For an apron it doesn’t really matter if the fabric suits my complexion, it’s just a practical piece of clothing. I spill lots of things so I always try to wear an apron in the kitchen.
I had Covid last week so I wanted an easy weekend project to get back into sewing and then I thought of this. I found a matching green thread but unfortunately no contrasting fabrics, bias tape, trim or anything. I really wanted to make this entire project from stash but I do think it would have looked nicer with a pretty trim on top or contrasting pockets.
I also changed the pattern a little bit. The Simplicity pattern chooses to not hem around the apron, but advises bias tape around all edges. Apart from not having any matching bias tape, I think sewing bias tape around all edges would be more difficult than simply hemming, and I think that it would really affect the drape of the apron if you’re using a light weight cotton like I am.
I used French seams, as recommended in the pattern, which really gives a more professional result despite not being more difficult than a regular seam.
Unfortunately, due to the print and lack of trim or stand-out thread colours, the pockets kind of disappear. These side pockets are very convenient though! I never follow a pattern on the placement of pockets, buttons and the like. I just try the garment on and pin it in the best place. I used that same method for the placement of the apron ties.
All in all, sewing this took me maybe 1,5 hours from start to finish. It was really easy to sew. The only thing I dislike about it is how busy the print is without any kind of contrasting fabrics or trims. If I was going to make a “pretty” apron I would have gone to the shop to buy some, but I really wanted this to be a practical, from-stash project.