Reversible Mug Rug (Half-Inch Weave/Vintage Ledger)

This mug rug was made for the Santa’s Sack swap. My partner said she could use a mug rug, and said she liked vintage things as well as colorful things.

One side was made according to this YouTube tutorial:

You make half-inch strips of fabric and then weave them together before stitching them with a decorative stitch. I learned that decorative stitches take LOTS of thread. And of course, mine turned out way wonkier than theirs!
:laughing:

The other side is just some interesting vintage-design fabric I picked up this summer in Maine. I machine-quilted it a bit (for example, along the ledger lines).

Hope my partner enjoys using the mug rug!

13 Likes

What a cool idea for a mug rug! Love the fabric choices, too!

1 Like

Wow! It looks so intricate! Love the colorful front contrasted with the simpler back.

1 Like

So cool! I hadn’t seen that technique before, that gives me ideas.

1 Like

Thiiiiis is soooo cool! I love the effect of the woven strips with the decorative stitch you chose! And the funky fabric on the back. Eep!

And right about the decorative stitches taking so much thread and so much time!

1 Like

Super interesting design. I’ve never seen this technique before. I bet it’s super Mesmerising to look at up close which would be problematic when you’re trying to use it as intended. :laughing:

1 Like

Very cool. Thanks for sharing the video too.

1 Like

Oooh! It is woven! I thought they were tiny quilt squares. It is absolutely gorgeous and I love it. You chose the perfect fabrics.

1 Like

That’s the secret of it; it looks like a fussy, intricate thing, but is actually easy and even fairly quick. The fancy stitching takes the longest, and even that part is just babysitting the sewing machine as it chugs along.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize you made the woven fabric! Sounds like something I need to try.

1 Like