Road Trip Dishcloth (with pattern)

This dishcloth pattern originated while I was on a road trip to Washington DC (back in 2007), in an RV. I found that I could crochet and not get carsick (bonus!), but reading a pattern would make me carsick. So, I came up with my own pattern, which was originally posted on some other craft website, so I’m reposting it here (see below). For this one, I did a reverse single crochet border (instead of half double crochet), because it was late, and I was tired, and it was quick!

“Road Trip Dishcloth”

Ch 27
Row 1: Sk 2 ch (counts as 1st hdc); hdc across (26 hdc total)
Row 2: ch 2 (counts as 1st hdc); hdc across (26 hdc total)
Row 3: Repeat row 2
Row 4: ch 2 (counts as 1st hdc); hdc in next st, ch 1, sk next stitch; (2 hdc, ch 1, sk next st) across, ending with 2 hdc (8 sets of 2 hdc, ch 1, sk next st plus 2 hdc)
Rows 5-7: Repeat row 2
Row 8: Repeat row 4

Repeat rows 5-8 until desired length, ending with a row 7.

For border: hdc around, with 2 hdc in each corner.

I did a total of 23 rows (5 sets of the pattern repeat, ending with 3 rows of hdc)

17 Likes

Beautiful, I love the cheerful colors you used.

Love it. Simple pattern too :grin:

1 Like

Oh thanks for the pattern. Looks great.

1 Like

Like crab stitch? I know how to do that one! This cloth looks great, I’d like to try it. I need non-car-sickening travel crafts too :stuck_out_tongue:. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone! I made another one while listening to a presenter at our professional development on Monday, and I didn’t need to use the pattern.And, I didn’t lose any stitches along the way :wink: I’ll add a photo once I have better light.

I think that’s another name for it! For some reason, I was always afraid to try it, but once I did (on an afghan border), I didn’t know why I waited so long. It makes an excellent edging for dishcloths.

1 Like

Here’s another one! I made this while listening to a presenter at our recent professional development day.