Hubby and I had a weekend away in May last year for our anniversary and I visited a local yarn shop and bought a lap rug pattern called Rockpool. My mum had just given me two large plastic canvas totes full of yarn from my gran’s stash, so to stop hubby having a conniption about taking on gran’s stash, I pulled a bunch of skeins of 12 Ply (bulky) that went well together and got started. (I was quite happy with the colour combination, considering the stash would be from no later than the 90s.)
I ran out of some colours so had to go and search for similar-enough colours and hope the differing yarn sizes didn’t matter too much.
I also had to buy yarn to make the squares around the circles, as the colour that I had planned to use (gran had about 6 skeins) just wasn’t quite right.
I used two different colours for the squares as I unfortunately didn’t have enough of the teal (which I love) as it was a mill end bag and there was only one. But it worked out that I had enough for the border squares, so a different colour wouldn’t look completely out of place.
Then all that was left was to add the border, which was five rows of double crochet (UK)(single crochet US) and then one row of crab stitch (which I had never done, so new stitch to the library!)
I wanted to make sure that I used the yarn evenly and made all the circles unique, so I spent ages on a pattern to mix the colours up. It was like a massive game of sudoku, with only a certain number of each size circle in each colour.
Here it is, in all its glory. Using 12ply ended up making it bigger than the pattern, it’s about 4’×5’. So quite big and heavy. I think I ended up using nine skeins of stash yarn.