Round Two of Swaps-Your Ideas

There seems to be a lot of great flat parcel options, but just in case people are interested, I’d love to host a postcard/notecard swap (mailable sizes). I find myself sending a lot of good cheer mail to friends currently. I’m hoping the habit will stick. :smiley:

Craft at least 10 cards for your partner, artists choice, so more like sweat shop. If you don’t include envelopes, could be fairly flat and sent from home. 3 weeks crafting time. OK with international sending required.

5 Likes

Ooh. I’d love to join in this one.

1 Like

Ooo ooo! Bookmark swap! Two weeks crafting, send one bookmark. Easy shipping, they can typically go in a regular letter envelope (with protection inside if needed, like stiff cardboard to protect a paper bookmark). Construction is any media you decide is best for your partner! (Yes to hosting)

(Happy to host the Small Hoop Swap if that goes forward, but if someone else yearns to do so, also happy to step aside!)

6 Likes

I like all these flat packed inexpensive shipping ideas. The mail is all kinds of messed up right now, I wouldn’t mind having to send a replacement book mark, etc, but I hesitate to sign up for anything 3-D. Also, our finances are going to be a mess until people are back at work, and once back at work there go my crafting hours, lol. Small and simple are the ones I’d consider joining.

9 Likes

Lilyleaper is offering to host a bookmark swap, so if anyone else wants to take on the small hoop swap (or any other sort of embroidery swap), have at it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those of you interested in an inspiring women swap might also enjoy this new podcast. I just listened to the Phillis Wheatley episode. What an extraordinary woman!

4 Likes

I also like more of the easier to ship swaps. It becomes a challenge to ship overseas…I go to a non-USPS place to ship overseas and their fees are outrageous but I don’t want to go to the only international USPS we have here because it is always crowded with non-compliant people.

I would do ATC, non-hoop embroideries, TM patches, merit badges, bookmarks, journal pages in fabric or paper, notecards…any of those…

1 Like

A Fill a flat rate envelope swap would be fun. Papers, unframed embroidery/cross stitch, scarves, foldable totebags. You would have 3-4 weeks to craft and collect.

8 Likes

This is a perfect idea! It covers so many of the smaller, flat, swap ideas. I’d be down for that.

I love the Halloween advent idea, journal pages and common ground.

Our international mail is slowly starting to open up…I can mail to US and Canada now. In another month I’d say most places would be open for mail.

4 Likes

There are so many great ideas! Can we only vote for one?

2 Likes

I would love to participate in one, but only if International shipping is an option (Aussie here).

There are so many wonderful ideas!

2 Likes

I hosted a Prairie Schooler autumn/winter swap, I’d love to do a summer themed swap. Or another round of the autumn/winter swap. I don’t remember exactly who was in that swap back then but I know I stitched for @kittykill. I still use the pincushion I received through that swap every single day and I still get compliments about it.

I am still a bit scared about international mail, I’ve been waiting on mail from/to the UK to arrive for a while now. Hopefully this will get better now society is slowly opening up again.

The swap would be 1 large item and crafting time maybe 4-6 weeks. Cross stitch takes time, last time we stitched things like ornaments and pincushions.

I think I’m going to sit this round out even if it’s flat.

I recently had to pay premium rates for a prayer flag to be shipped to US, otherwise it would just sit in a holding bay for weeks / months on end. Even then it took a long time to get there :frowning:
This always makes me worry!

All that after queuing for 45minutes to get to the post office. Unfortunately I don’t have a printer to buy online.

UK non business post is not much better right now.

Looking forward to swaps with reasonable postage costs and time soon

3 Likes

I know the last time I sent to the UK the package weighed about 3 ounces and cost nearly $40 to send. I did use a non-postal service so I wouldn’t have to stand in line, but it didn’t seem cost effective to me…I also would love to swap flat items even in the USA just so I don’t need to deal with going out right now. I have someone who would do it, but I don’t want to needlessly put anyone that works for me under any risk.

1 Like

It’s crazy really!! And quite frustrating because swaps are great motivation. But the additional postal anxiety decreases the fun. Bah!!

1 Like

OK, we have some good ideas for the next round of five swaps. I’m going to start up a poll tomorrow morning, so if you want to organize a swap but haven’t yet posted it here, you about 12 hours from…NOW! to suggest it. Remember to include what would be swapped (examples: 1 large and a small, 3 bookmarks, one frilly hat, or one surly teen) and how long the crafting time will be. Generally people have been allowing 3 to 5 weeks due to current circumstances.

Thank you!

9 Likes

Yea for Halloween Advent :grinning:. It might be a little early for this one; but, I’d love to see vintage Halloween on a future list! Can’t remember what we’ve usually done, maybe one medium/large and a couple of smalls? I like a long time to craft (a month?) and plenty of time to mail. And, I agree with the folks concerned about international shipping. If that is included, then maybe smaller items!

2 Likes

I’ve posted the poll for our next round of swaps HERE. Go vote!

2 Likes

Woot woot!!!