Scrap-Busting Diamond Trip Quilt

A quilt finished! I’ve currently got a stack of 4 nearly-done quilts on my table, and I’m trying to finish them all off. I got 2 bound over the weekend, but they need special labels, so while I work out how to do that, I decided to try to bind another one out during Ada’s nap time today. The pattern is called Diamond Trip, and it’s free from Donna Jordan of Jordan Fabrics. I love her YouTube videos where she makes quilts of various patterns from start to finish. She demos commercially available patterns from other designers, and sometimes she does videos of her own designs which she gives away for free.

This was one that she created, and actually made 2 versions of; one made with a curated jelly roll for a cohesive look, and the other one which was super scrappy. Since I like to cut down my scraps into 2.5" strips and squares, I decided to try it out with the ton of browns that were sitting around. I didn’t have anything I liked in stash for the diamonds, so I did buy enough of the turquoise to do those and bind the whole thing. The back is a simple brown flannel I got on sale for 60% off from Joann’s. I asked my husband to hold it up for me, and little Ada decided to help her Dada.

She then promptly stole it to watch cartoons. Upside down.

I really wish I got a better pic of this though. It’s actually shades of brown, while the picture makes it look tan and gold. This progress pic gives a better sense of color, until I can get a new picture in daylight tomorrow.

While making it, I kept the offcut triangles from making all the diamonds, and eventually pieced them into an 18" square. After I get a few more of these quilts out the door, I plan to turn it into pillow, and then both pieces together will go on the squashy armchair in library section our bonus room.

I liked the pattern PDF above, but here’s the YouTube video showing Donna making the quilt.

16 Likes

Pfft, this is too gorgeous. Those pops of turquoise, wow.
And also, the urge to squish all that delicious baby body is intense!

1 Like

Wow. Gorgeous quilt! And it gets the Ada seal of approval.

1 Like

It’s beautiful! I love it when the babies immediately steal a new blankie.

1 Like

Good way to use up fabric. Turned out great!

1 Like

Who knew browns could be so beautiful!! This came out so wonderfully. Yay for finishing!

1 Like

It’s amazing that you made this almost entirely from your own scrap stash! And it’s so bright for a “brown quilt” which is delightful. Not nearly as delightful as that shot of Ada helping, though! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Beautiful quilt. The colors make it look wsrm and cozy. And Ada seems like a big fan. Shes a cutie.

2 Likes

Excellent quilt, best upside-down toddler! :laughing:

1 Like

Brown and turquoise together have always appealed to me. Both quilts are lovely.

Ada sure has grown a lot! She is already appreciating mama’s quilts!

1 Like

Love it!

1 Like

Beautiful quilt! Adorable child!

1 Like