Scrap Queen Quilt

It started with a huge pile of scraps and an ADHD-fueled whim…it ended in a headache-inducing, collage of every sewing project from the last few years.

The other side is much more subdued.

Some blocks are tiny crumbs of fabric with more area in the seam allowances than is seen on the right-side of the fabric. Some are leftover squares from other quilts (HSTs). Some are strips, some are wonky roses or log cabins. Each 9.5" square block is sashed with 3.5" squares.

To quilt this behemoth (it’s 87" x 99"), I first did a grid along the sashing. Then, I went back and free-motion quilted each of the 56 9.5" squares with a different design. It makes for a nice texture on the back. I used what was left of the backing fabric to make the binding (3").

Please excuse the mess, the bins of Legos and sewing stuff are everywhere right now. :crazy_face:

25 Likes

I love your use of scrappy squares for the sashing! This is indeed a scrap lovers quilt. Look at all of the fabrics that were other projects…what an accomplishment…you sure put a lot of love and work into this one! I love it! Great job!

1 Like

This is astoundingly impressive! WOW! Look at all the wee tiny pieces!

2 Likes

Amazing!

1 Like

It’s fantastic… serious scrap busting!

1 Like

It looks like it must have taken forever! Phenomenal!

1 Like

Wow!! This is awesome!

Also: You have managed to inspire and terrify me at the same time! LOL! I have been wanting to do a quilt made of little scraps like this, but now I’m not sure if I’m looking forward to the headache…

2 Likes

Oh no, it’s totally worth it! It’s fun, it just makes your eyes cross a bit.

2 Likes

I was thinking to do the quilt as you go method.

3 Likes

:heart_eyes: this is sooo pretty! I couldn’t even tell there were squares at first. Someone is going spend a bit under that quilt seeing if they can find matches elsewhere and wondering where the rest of the fabric was made into: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Woweeeeee!!!

1 Like

Hooooly cow! I could stare at it for ages!

1 Like

That. Is. Amazeballs!

1 Like

Thank you!

It’s amazing and gorgeous!
And such an amount of work.
I love it.

1 Like

Scrap queen indeed. This is epic! :star_struck:

1 Like

:heart: :thread: :scissors: Congratulations! Your scrap-tastic quilt is a Featured Project! :scissors: :thread: :heart:

1 Like

Thank you!

I love how your eye stops at each section as you scan it. There are so many stopping points and focus points that makes it so fun!

1 Like