CLOSED - Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2022

FYI, I’m still working on the updated Homework Planner. It should be ready in a day or so.

4 Likes

My 11 year-old is a big Harry Potter fan. She’s wondering if she and I can join as a duo, as she is too young to join LC herself.

Let me talk to the other Moderators about this. We have age restrictions on LC for a reason. While this Craftalong is Harry Potter themed, and while everyone here is polite and welcoming and no one really posts anything inappropriate, it’s not intended for children. I’ll get back to you soon.

In the meantime, @Tanath, you could take some prompts ideas and post the project to the collective fridge page, too. Then you could do some things here for yourself and tell us when she has something to post in the other board for us to ooh and ahh over. :slight_smile:

If it makes any difference, she only reads the forum with me, so I can filter things before showing her.
Like you said, everyone is so awesome here, and I can’t really remember seeing anything really inappropriate for kids posted here. The “worst” I’ve seen is maybe some crafted “bad language”, and I think she’s already been exposed to that by her classmates anyway :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Scrap Queen Quilt
Project Page Link: link
Brief Description: Probably one of the biggest projects I’ve ever done, this quilt represents countless hours of work. Sorting, sewing, pressing, quilting…bringing together the scraps from dozens of projects into a kaleidoscope of memories. Every inch of this project brings up memories of projects and gifts and the people I made them for. And as much as I cherish that, the back of the quilt is a simple and subdued print that won’t make me dizzy…and that side will probably be up most of the time. To keep it interesting, each of the 56 main blocks were quilted in a different free-motion design.
Project Picture:

11 Likes

I’m here with an actual submission!

Class: History of Magic
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Coral Reef
Project Description: Like many libraries around the country, we’re doing the Oceans of Possibilities theme for Summer Reading. I have been lucky enough to have been tasked with making the fun decorations we’ll be using to spruce up the library. For this coral reef, I fused many elements such as pool noodle corals, bath puff anemones, and ribbon twist flora in an attempt to make one cohesive piece.
Project Pic:

8 Likes

Is anyone able to tell me how to copy the Homework Planner sheet so that mine shows up as a tab at the bottom like everyone else’s? So far I’ve been able to “Copy to” but that just puts it on my personal Google drive. I’m not very good at stuff like this. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Ok, you now have a tab on the Homework Planner. They are arranged alphabetically, so you will have to use the arrows at the bottom of the screen where the tabs are, to navigate over to yours. Usually what happens is someone requests access, and when they do, I make a tab for them. Then each term I cut & paste the new setup into everyone’s tabs.

1 Like

To everyone else in the HPC, I have finally finished, and updated all the tabs in the Homework Planner. When you go to your tab, you will be able to see all the prompts for this term. Happy crafting!

4 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Scrappy Dishcloths
Brief Description: I’m itching to be crafting, but have my hands full with Ada. One of the few things I’ve been able to do in small snatches of time is a little crochet. And I do mean small. I’ve been stash busting small scraps of cotton yarn to make dishcloths. No specific pattern or plan, just using stuff up as I feel like it. (These ones alternated rows of hdc with rows of sc.) I’ve now used up the pink, black, light blue, turquoise, navy, and multicolor, up to just a couple inches of each.
Project Picture:

8 Likes

Thank you so much, @MistressJennie

I think your dishies look like something Mrs. Weasley would make to use up her scraps. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

@Moonflame - that coral reef is really cool!!

@MistressJennie - thank yooouuuu!!

@Abbeeroad Thank you!

I just realized I have another submission to make.

Class: Apparition
Project Name: Toilet Tabs
Project Description: I used THIS RECIPE to make some fizzing toilet cleaning tablets. I made about twice this much, but the others are in 2 other containers in other bathrooms already. The only hitch I ran into was that I made a batch and then extended it to fill my second mould and I think I got a little more vinegar into that batch because some of the tabs expanded overnight. They still work great, though. I got really inspired by my success and ordered some washing soda for a dishwasher tablet recipe I want to try!
Project Pic:

7 Likes

Thanks for all the behind the scenes work you’ve put in, MJ, I hope Ada is settling into a routine for you!

Class: Detention- Reparo
Project: mending
Description and pic: Kids outgrow clothes pretty quickly but are hard on them, too. I’m trying to make some favorite leggings go the distance while learning a new skill. These pants now have 2 spots of visible mending. This assignment is this one:

I’m really new to the skill so these are now strictly “play clothes” and hopefully I’ll get good enough to mend “be seen in public and not look like a ragamuffin who mended her own clothes at 3 years old” in due time.

6 Likes

Let’s see if I remember how to do this, it’s been a minute…

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Bag of Bags
Brief Description: It was beyond time to replace my plastic grocery bag holder, which is container of containers. I used random dimensions off the internet for the fabric piece then winged the rest of it - it’s much shorter and fatter than the last one, but does the job!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Valkyrie Coloring Page
Brief Description: I am trying hard to use up my first set of alcohol markers before I invest in one of the refillable sets, and I was able to finish off two yellow markers while making this page.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Perfect! Like riding a bike! :smile:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes
Project Name & Page Link: Big Blue Wibbly Wobbly Knitting Bag
Brief Description: I needed a day to just unwind and craft, so I whipped this up - I also needed it done before the rest of my yarn arrives.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Class Title: Astronomy
Project Name & Page Link: “Z” pillow cover - tutorial
Brief Description: This pillow cover was made for my cousin’s wedding shower this past weekend. It features the first letter of her soon to be last name on the front and wood-slice fabric on the back (her fiancé is in the logging business).
Project Pictures:

Class Title: Book Club: Chapter 19
Project Name & Page Link: Luci Disenchantment Hoop
Brief Description: I made this for a personal Disenchantment swap. When a personal demon is the subject of your stitching, of course it’s all black!
Project Picture:

Class Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Scrappy Headdresses
Brief Description: These fun head pieces feature long, dangly components.
Project Picture:

Class Title: Study of Ancient Runes
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Bean ATC
Brief Description: After I made the Luci hoop for a personal Disenchantment swap, I knew I wanted to add a little something. I sat down and made this ATC of Princess Tiabeanie from the show in one session. I love how it came out and smile every time I see it!
Project Picture:

8 Likes

Class/Challenge: Apparition
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Cashew Chicken
Brief Description: For Apparition, I cooked one of my favorite dishes, cashew chicken, using this recipe. This time I cut up a fresh chicken breast, but I usually used precooked chicken (breasts that I’ve cut into bite sized pieces, cooked with salt & pepper, and frozen for later). When I do that, I dump in the thawed chicken after the cashews & peppers have cooked for a minute or so.
It’s usually served with white rice (made with chicken broth if I have some I need to use) and roasted veggies (broccoli & carrots tossed in olive oil with salt & pepper and baked at 400°F for 20-30 min).
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Herbology
Project Name: Mini Cthulhu
Brief Description: For Herbology, I made a little Cthulhu (with several dangling tentacles) using this pattern. I used a single strand of a thinner yarn, so he’s ~4 inches tall.
Project Picture:

back:

Class/Challenge: Transfiguration
Project Name: Blue Jersey Yarn
Brief Description: For Transfiguration, I upcycled a set of old jersey sheets into jersey yarn! For the fitted sheet, I cut the elastic & serged seams off, but used a seam ripper for the flat sheet. Both were cut into ~1" wide strips. I ended up with 2 large balls of jersey yarn and an elastic ‘string’ for my cat to play with. :grin:
Project Picture:

In the middle of cutting up the fitted sheet:

8 Likes