Scrappy bowls - No sewing, just glue and scraps

I made this scrappy bowl/container for @bluebird for the L & C swap this summer. I was inspired by a YouTube video by Kristen Peterson, aka AlteredStatesStudio.

Since the swap, I’ve made several more.

These 2 were gifts for my mom - she promptly put a plant in the larger one, and M&M’s in the smaller one. I like the scalloped edge - I will repeat that element.

These are super easy to make - glue & scraps. You can of course use paper, or a combination of paper and fabric. I’m stuck on fabric now but I want to make one with security envelope patterns.

Grab a plastic something - I’m using yogurt and cottage cheese containers. Cover with cling wrap.

Start gluing - I’m using Elmer’s School glue.

Apply the glue to the right side - this is the inside of your container.

I snip some pieces, especially if they are on the edge. I use plain white fabric to make little “band aids” to smooth the snipped fabric.

Cover the container with fabric facing in. I then add a second layer of white or light colored fabric to add stability.

The third layer is the outside - snip, rip, and glue! Glue the wrong side this time.

As you can see, I’m not choosing fabric by color or value - just higgledy piggeldy. I also let threads get glued, threads dangle and raw edges be a part of the design.

I need a set of about 6 or 10 for my mixed media supplies so I’m making more!

I did add a felt circle at the base for extra rigidity in between layers 1 and 2, but it’s probably not necessary.

Thanks for looking!

11 Likes

Your tutorial makes this look so simple! Very cool bowl!

2 Likes

I love, love these scrappy little masterpieces!! Higgledy piggeldy is the best way to choose fabric IMO. :laughing:

1 Like

Great way to use up scraps. I like the scalloped edges on it. Gives it a more finished look.

1 Like

This is brilliant! I have so many scraps I’ve been hoarding over the years that I’ve had no clue what to do with them all. I can’t wait to give this a try. Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial! :sparkling_heart: