Scrappy Mail Fabric Swap (Signups CLOSED; Sendouts 6/25)

I am completely addicted to making Frankenbags…they use a few panels of scraps as a starting point to make unique bags. I have made one so far and have another 20 or so pinned for inspiration. I have enough quilts so I will probably use these scraps to make smaller projects! It will be nice to have fabrics from friends!

5 Likes

Yay! How exciting!

I’m so excited to sort through my fabrics now!

6 Likes

I can’t wait to see the gallery for this swap and I especially can’t wait to see what everyone ends up doing with their scraps!

3 Likes

Fun, I should have signed up for more partners, didn’t think about it too hard. But still fun! My problem will be limiting the amount I send. So many choices.

5 Likes

Here’s our gallery!

4 Likes

Started sorting through my small scrap bin…not much in there, lot’s of triangle that I sorted and now can stitch up for starts and endings.
Next is the charm squares and random small/mediums. I seriously need to rethink my stash! I haven’t even started on the medium larges or the fat quarter boxes, or the…

I am going to also give myself a stack of scrappy mail fabric to add to the swap goodies I receive.

5 Likes

Got all the scraps cut and assigned to the various swap partners. Now I just have to photograph them and package them up!

Do the pictures have to show all the scraps, or just the envelopes we are sending?

3 Likes

Just the envelopes! But you’re welcome to take pics of the scraps if you want.

3 Likes

I made a cheat sheet for each of my partners, and laid them out on my cutting table, then went through my already cut 2.5" squares and assigned some to each person. Then I went through my 2.5" strips, and picked out a few that specific folks would like and laid them out too, so I can cut them into squares. But before I could start cutting, Ada woke up and decided she would only be happy if she was blowing spit bubbles while Momma watched her. :breast_feeding:

10 Likes

I’ll probably be sending out tomorrow. Everything was ready to go today, but car issues and appointments have required a small delay.

1 Like

I really should just cut all my scraps into charm squares (or mini charm squares if they are too small to be charm squares). That way, they would be ready for swaps or projects. But unfortunately, I don’t think I can make myself do that…

4 Likes

Haha…agreed. What if I need this weirdly shaped scrap later?!

But I also cut extra squares for myself and I do enjoy having a little pile of potential ready to go.

Maybe I can find a balance between an ordered stash and my current chaos…

5 Likes

I seem to remember that @geekgirl had bins for things like junk, scrap papers, etc. When they became full, she made herself use it instead of getting another bin. I have been trying that and it seems to be helping control my stacks! It is also a challenge to use up “limited” junk…lots of creativity…if there is a reason it hasn’t been used, it must be recycled or trashed.

I still can’t seem to use up the tiny bits of fabric but Fodder School has given me an idea to store the best of them so I can see them and use them!

5 Likes

I make scrappy master fabrics or fun mini scrappy quilty things…so i save even tiny scraps. I have another larger piece planned, but haven’s started it yet, it’s going to have to wait until fall.
I never know when I will need a small piece of … something to finish off a crazy project.

7 Likes

They are all fabulous…but you are not helping with my tiny scrap addiction…lol…I do not need another one…although, it was so much fun making those scrappy hearts…hmmm

2 Likes

YES!!! This is what I’m talking about! :heart:

Those are some amazing scrap projects!

LOL. I get that. What you could do is split the difference. If you have a chunk of fabric that is whole and untouched on one end, and has weird shapes cut out of the other, you can cut off the sliced up end, leaving you with a relatively square piece that can be put away whole. Then you can take the swiss cheese piece, and cut it into charm and mini charm squares.

Also, cutting up small pieces of leftover binding is perfect for mini charms since most binding is cut 2.5" wide. If you have a larger piece of binding you could use it for another project, but usually most quilt patterns have you cut just enough so you only have a bit leftover.

6 Likes

I keep all my little bits of binding and hope someday to make a quilt using all of the pieced together bits…you, dear, are not helping either!!! lol

1 Like