Scrappy Pocket Book / Organizer *Tutorial

Here is my tutorial for a scrappy pocket book/organizer :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: This is number five for me (the other four helped me perfect the design and process…), my first one can be found here. I’m going to share how I do things but I’m sure a lot of the process could be changed/modified :wink: Lots of picture set to show small but you can click on them to see them bigger.

Here we go!

I start with five pieces of cardstock that is 8 1/2" x 11" and cut them in half to make ten pieces that are 8 1/2" tall x 5 1/2" wide.

The pockets are then cut from more cardstock and/or heavy scrapbook paper. Pockets are all 5 1/2" wide x a few inches tall. Pockets can be layered to give pages two pockets.

For the front and back “covers” I like adding an extra piece of pretty paper for the top area. This paper can be lighter weight. I cut this piece to be 5 1/2" wide and longer than the empty space not covered by the front pocket.

I like to glue this piece down along the edges then I do a quick zig-zag stitch along the bottom edge.

Then I put the pockets in place for the cover piece and stitch around the top, outside edge, and bottom. (and sometimes part of the inside edge)

Repeat for back cover (I also like to make the tallest inside pockets taller to cover the backside of the stitching) Yellow arrows show the general path of my stitching.

For all the inside pockets I machine stitch the bottom and outside edges (and sometimes part of the inside edge). I use the tallest pocket as my starting point and backstitch at the top, outer, edge. It’s easier if you temporarily glue the pocket edges before stitching :wink: But I’ve been living on the wild side and have just been pinching the layers tight… then trimming any that escaped the edge :laughing:

The more pockets you add the more your machine will grumble at you and the more un-balanced the book will be… so keep that in mind. Here is the book after sewing in all the pockets (the bottom is thick, the top is skinny)

For sewing paper to paper I use a zig-zag stitch that (on my machine) is set to a width of 2 and length of 4. Then for sewing the fabric to paper I make a smaller zig-zag stitch that is set to 2 & 2.

I really like using fabric scraps that have been patchworked together but I think it would be much easier with a solid piece of fabric… You will need two fabric strips for each set of two cardstock pieces (so ten strips total).

I cut my strips to be 1 1/2" wide x 9" tall.

Now grab your first two cardstock pocket pages, one outside fabric strip, and one inside fabric strip! Lay your outside fabric strip face down. I made myself a guide of cardstock that really helps with this bit! The guide is cardstock cut to 1/2" wide. I center my guide on the fabric:

So there is 1/2" fabric, 1/2" guide, 1/2" fabric. Then I grab my adhesive roller and roll some along the inisde edges of the cardstock pages and stick them down onto the fabric strip! So now we have cover page facing down, guide, and second page face up.

Now you can take the guide out:

Stick more sticky stuff on the inside edges and, using the first fabric strip as a guide, stick the inside fabric strip down, facing up.

Here’s another tricky-to-explain bit… Sew along top edge of fabric, down center of overlapping fabric+2nd page, along bottom edge of fabric, then back up center of overlapping fabric+cover page. Backstitching at start, finish, and to get the top/bottom edge to edge.

This is optional, but I like to do it - Flip pages over. and stitch on either side of long stitching. See yellow arrows here:

(and without arrows so you can maybe see the thread)

I flip the pages over because I use different colored bobbin thread and it gives me a chance to make sure the other side looks good.

Repeat until all pages have fabric edges!

Now grab some more tools: Clips, needle, thick/sturdy thread (I think mine is a thin embroidery thread), binding guide, and needle grippy stuff (not pictured, but it’s green and flower shaped, rubbery stuff). For this thread I use about eight times the book height and stitch it doubled over.

I made a guide for where each stitch of binding should go. There are probably a thousand ways to bind such a thing… but I’m using a modified Japanese technique. *Look up video tutorials if this doesn’t make sense.

Starting in the middle, inside, of the book (I accidently started in the wrong one but it still worked :wink:). Poke your needle through the center and pull through, leaving a tail a few inches long (I make it about the width of the pages).

Use clips to keep your book sections nice and tidy.

Then stitch alternation up and down until you reach the bottom/top of the book. I like to add a little detail at the top, bottom, and middle. I go over/under one way then back again so each signature has a loop of binding thread on the outside. Then I go back towards the middle, filling in the gaps on each side. At the middle I do the little criss-cross detail again, then repeat binding on the top/bottom. Here are some pictures that I hope help that make sense:

When you get back to the middle for the last time go through to the middle/inside where you started. Tie some knots with the tail and trim!

Then take a step back and admire your work!

:partying_face: :tada: :partying_face:

:sparkles:

:sparkles:

Fill it up and have a party! (Thread trimming is optional)

:partying_face: :tada: :partying_face:

Any questions? :sweat_smile: Thanks for looking and learning :kissing_heart:

19 Likes

I love the mix of fabrics and papers and will have to try this! It is lovely and useful…I love the patchwork as well to use favorite bits of fabric.

1 Like

Fantastic! Fabric & paper, this is a great combo for a beautiful & purposeful item. Nice one.

1 Like

Okay, thanks. This looks harder than the way I had thought - I’ll try it your way.

1 Like

The hardest part for me is the binding :stuck_out_tongue: And the fabric has it’s own ideas of where it wants to be sometimes :wink: One of my earlier attempts was easier but didn’t look as nice; instead of putting the fabric between two pages I folded it in half with one page sewn between (with a little gap for binding).

Good luck! I hope you’ll share what you make too :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hoo-ee! What a cool project and what a nice thing for you to share and shoot all the steps!

1 Like

Wowee! Thanks so much for taking the time to make this fantastic tutorial :slight_smile: It is so detailed…I am bookmarking this for reference.

1 Like

Maybe, if I do a good job……

1 Like

Embrace the scrappy and it will be fine! :wink: Mine is full of wonkey bits :rofl: but it’s still pretty and functional :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is indeed pretty and functional! Thank you for the tutorial!!

1 Like

This is so fabulous!! Thanks for sharing all your process and tips - I feel inspired!

1 Like

Very pretty, it looks great!

1 Like

Congratulations! Your project was one of the Best of 2021! Yoooooou ROCK!

1 Like

Great tutorial!

1 Like