Sewing bird mug rug

I was lucky enough to be paired with @Cindy for the mug rug swap. When I saw her favourite themes included birds and sewing, I came up with this design for her.

The appliqué is with fusible webbing and black machine outlining, aiming for a slightly hand-drawn feel. I embroidered the ‘thread’ by hand, and hand quilted the mug rug. It’s hard to see in this pic, but the background fabric has a white on white sewing motifs print, which I know Cindy enjoyed too. It was a lot of fun to make!

Lately I’ve been trying to be efficient with my crafting by making two or more of something at the same time, I’m trying to build up my supply of gifts on hand. So I actually made a second one in a slightly different colourway, but I haven’t taken a photo yet.

26 Likes

Your little birds have such character. Love this mug rug!

2 Likes

I absolutely love my new art piece (no using this one)

2 Likes

Aww, this is adorable! :blush:

1 Like

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: it’s so pretty! And instantly recognizable as your beautiful work.

3 Likes

This is quite lovely! I would have a hard time putting a mug on it.

1 Like

The combo of perfect stitchery with scrappy applique, hand embroidery & sketchy free-motion is all super-dee-duper-delightful! I love it.

1 Like

Absolutely love this sweet little mug rug. And I love your idea of making a few of something at a time. You’re right, it is usually just barely more work to make 2 together, than to pull out all the supplies to make one. I’m going to start thinking about that when I craft.

2 Likes

My thought exactly, that’s why I’m hanging it up.

3 Likes

I love how your unique style translates so effortlessly between watercolour and fabric. This is beautiful!

1 Like

This is so distinctly jemimah, I love it! The hand-stitched elements are so wonderful and I love the idea of making 2 at once!

1 Like

I love this! It’s so charming and sweet. You nailed the hand-drawn feel of it. Cute colors on this one too.

1 Like

This is just so delightful!

1 Like

Thank you friends! :heart:

Exactly! For small sewn items like mug rug rugs, pouches, etc - I find it’s really helping me be productive. Not that creating is only about being productive of course! But I have a lot of stash to get through and I can always make use of small giftable things.

1 Like

So cute!

1 Like