Sewing display

Yes, I know I said I wasn’t going to do minis any more. But this is NOT a mini scene, it’s an assemblage of items that happens to include some minis. And it’s all from stash, including the container made from two cardboard boxes.

for instance, this is not a mini; a vintage pin cushion made from a china elephant. Plus 2 ordinary thimbles to fill in the space. I don’t use thimbles, why do I own 7 of them?

A RL scale cloisonne thimble and tiny matching casket.

Okay, this one IS a scale mini, a beautifully rendered treadle sewing machine that actually moves! My niece got it for me in some foreign country 20 years ago, and I finally used it somewhere!

Also a dollhouse mini, from a kit by Chrisnbon. I covered the torso with fabric printed with text, and made the tape measure from a strip of paper.

The sewing machine card was made for me by a friend.

A vintage needle packet

A thimble I’ve had since I was in grade school

Stork scissors. Got them used, they don’t work well at all but are so adorable!

I debated a white vs yellow tape measure, and decided on the yellow. It took over everything, so it got replaced by the white, which was a bit boring, so I added the silver tacks to relate to the silver on the machine.

27 Likes

Nice way to display a bunch of neat sewing things! Those thimbles are great. I love how you used a card for the background as well.

1 Like

Heart eyes! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

It’s a beautiful collection of tiny sewing treasures! That sewing machine looks ready to start stitching, and your thimbles are adorable.

1 Like

This is absolutely LOVELY!

1 Like

Love this!!!

1 Like

You have an amazing assortment of cool sewing stuff, and this is a fabulous way to display all of it! Love the tape measure around the edge. (I don’t think it’s boring at all.) The pincushion is so cool, as well as that treadle machine and the needle case… and just everything!

1 Like

Wonderful! This is a really lovely way to cohesively and beautifully display a variety of sewing-related items! That elephant pin cushion with it’s glass-headed (?) pins? Swoooooon. I think the background fabric is perfect for these, too; scale, colors, pattern.

2 Likes

thanks, all!
@TheMistressT , I’m good at faking it; the pins are plastic, but I chose faded ones for that vintage feel. If I find some glass ones, I’ll add them! And the background is paper. I auditioned several fabrics and papers and chose the one that set off things the best.

3 Likes

Ah ha! Those pins really make that pincushion “complete.” I even investicated the folds on that background under the sewing machine to see if it was paper or fabric. Ya’ got me!

3 Likes

This is so full of awesome!! Love that last thimble! Gorgeous.

1 Like

Ah, this is so after my own heart. I have a thimble & case like that from my mama. Nothing like that cool treadle machine tho, wow.

1 Like

Chrysnbon makes (or made) a kit for a treadle sewing machine and the same dummy I used. Their kits are wonderfully to scale, great details, fairly easy to assemble. Here’s one on ebay, in case anybody wants to make their own sewing shrine (not my listing)

2 Likes

:balloon: :balloon:Congratulations! This awesome project is featured this week! :balloon: :balloon:

2 Likes

This is so much fun to look at. All the details.

2 Likes

woo hoo! Thanks!

I love this piece of assemblage art. Where are you going to put it? Is it hangable?

1 Like

yes, there’s a hanger on the back. It’s currently in the dining room, will move to my studio when I clear a space for it.

1 Like

It’s wonderful!
(And I am jealous of your elephant pincushion.)

1 Like