Shades of Jade

These are a couple of items I made for the color in a box swap.

This dice bag was made using both a tutorial and machine embroidery design from Urban Threads. The inside is lined with the jade material.

I altered the pattern for this pop-up container so that it would have pockets on the bottom half. Because it uses a spring to keep its shape, it was easy to compact it down to fit into the box.

I happened to have a shipping box on hand that worked perfectly with my color inspiration, so I did my best to color match the box and added this ‘color in a box’ label to the top of it.

21 Likes

Such a pretty color! These all turned out really nice! That little dragon dice bag is really cool!

1 Like

Oh, wow! What a wonderful way to present a swap package! Love the dragon bag, and the pop-up bin seems very functional. Was it like a Jack-in-the box, popping up when your partner opened the box?

1 Like

Darn, why didn’t I think of that back then? That would’ve been quite the surprise, lol! I sewed an elastic band along the bottom so that it could be compressed down and then the elastic band pulled over it keeping it in a compressed state (the pattern wants you to sew a loop of elastic that comes off of one side, but I didn’t like that look, so I changed it up). It didn’t keep it as compressed as I thought it would though. In hindsight, I should’ve used a wider stronger piece of elastic.

5 Likes

Gorgeous colour!
Please tell me more about the popup basket, how ingenious!

1 Like

What an amazing, totally tied-together package!

2 Likes

Each item is so wonderfully made. You always go a little extra in some way to make swaps special!

2 Likes

In love with the dice bag. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

This is all so well coordinated and each so well-made! That spring action is so cool!

2 Likes

It screams Jade! Love everything. You had on lucky partner!

3 Likes

The fat quarter gypsy sells all different sizes of these pop-up springs (you can also pick them up on Amazon or different quilty sites). The one I made is a fat quarter pop-up, which can be made with just a fat quarter of fabric (plus stabilizer) and the spring.

Here is a video walkthrough on how to make the fat quarter pop-up.

I picked up two springs quite a while ago (pre-2020, since that’s when I did this one for the swap) and have been meaning to make one for myself all that time. Your question made me pull out my other spring…and now I’m getting excited to make my own! If you don’t hear back that I’ve made one within the next week, please send @Cindy after me! :grinning:

5 Likes

Thank you all! It was a fun swap and I really enjoyed figuring out how to use the materials I had on hand (it was right at the start of Covid when places were shut down and online shipping was taking forever) to create a complete package that fit the color criteria. I loved using the additional color of the brown faux leather, while still making the jade the star of the show.

2 Likes

I’ve made note of this :wink:

2 Likes

Mr Domestic! I like that guy. Thanks!

1 Like

Beautiful! What a fabulous swap package!

1 Like

:rocket: Wow! This project is out of this world and one of this week’s featured projects! :rocket:

Thank you so much for the feature, @Abbeeroad! :blush:

And thank you everyone for your interest in this post and the pop up basket. I made myself a pop up as a direct result!