Silk flower skeleton

DSCN0209

Inspired by the August Stitch Along Let’s Stitch Along to the End of Time! , I finally tried silk ribbon embroidery. Turns out, it only has one new stitch, the ribbon stitch, so I learned that, and also used lazy daisy, pistil, and straight stitches, as well as making floppy loops that probably have a name.

The skelly is cotton embroidery floss, and I learned a new stitch in that, too; Mountmellick, which makes the spine. It is very fussy at this scale (3 threads, and that’s a 4" hoop), but I’ll try it again in a larger size, and maybe won’t get so frustrated.

I drew the skelly, paint-dyed the background and most of the ribbons, and even tinted the hoop with a pink sharpie. All from stash!

25 Likes

Pretty/spooky! Really great color combinations!

1 Like

How wonderful! Love the hand-dyed background fabric — the swirls look like they are coming out of the fingers… or look like hair coming off of the head. All your new stitches are really nice ones.

1 Like

The background was a beige paisley print; I just tinted it greenish. Part of the paisley kind of looks like wings.

1 Like

I love the color combo on this. Normally skeleton stuff is so dark. I like how you made this feel fresh and bright. The skeleton is fantastic and so are your flowers! Lovely job.

2 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

Very pretty! I knew this was your work from the thumbnail! :blush:

1 Like

I can always tells yours from the title, and @TheMistressT 's from the subject matter.
Nice we each have our own style!

2 Likes

:star_struck: :boom: Wow! This awesome project is featured this week! :boom: :star_struck:

1 Like

Gorgeous work!

1 Like

Kewl, thank you!!

That looks fantastic! Love the background, the bones, the ribbon. All of it is just great!

1 Like

Wow, gorgeous

1 Like

Thanks, all!
I like this design a lot, so I looked for other ways to use it. Here it is 3D printed

my original sketch

now I’m wondering how else I can use it…

3 Likes

Fabulous stitching skills! Your work is always so original!

1 Like

Paint it on a notebook cover or something!

I love all the things you are doing with it! I’m in love with the original sketch too!

1 Like

It would make a neat wire sculpture. Or couched gold thread outline! Or, ooh, what’s that technique called where you stitch over a padded shape? Like couch a cording outlike then lay satin fabric overtop & stitch around the cording. Does anybody know the name of that? I forget…

1 Like

Is it stump work?

1 Like

No, it’s a different technique, I forget the name. I’ll look in my books…
Trapunto! It just came to me, lol. Weird name, cool looking stuff.

2 Likes

My first thought was trapunto, but I don’t associate it with embroidery, so thought you must be talking about some kind of padded embroidery stitch.