Silk Sparkle Crochet Hats for my Nieces

I love my nieces Ari & Mia. They are funny and smart and kind, and they always make me laugh. They like to call me after school when they’re bored. I asked them around Christmas if they’d like handmade hats from auntie, knowing that tweens might not want to wear stuff their aunt made. They both were very excited, and picked their favorite yarns from my stash.

Ari picked black & rainbow sparkle, from Darn Good Yarn. She had the Small Adult size, and it used just under 1 cake of yarn.

Mia picked the same sparkle silk yarn, in Classic Blue. Hers was an Adult Medium, and it used just over 1 cake of yarn. I think I did the last 2 rows from a second cake.

The pattern is the Simple Double Crochet Hat, and it’s super easy. I did alter mine a bit. I opted for some fpdc and bpdc stitch along the brim to give it a ribbed texture, and when I finished the prescribed number of rows, it was a bit short, so I added 2 more rows of ribbed dc, and 1 of sc.

15 Likes

I love it when bigger kids still like things made for them! And it’s even more fun if there is some collaboration. These are sure to be a hit!

2 Likes

These are lovely… what a great auntie!

2 Likes

Ooh, sparkle yarn! Both hats look so cheery!

It’s wonderful that you have such a great relationship with your nieces. They must be super excited about having a baby cousin on the way!

2 Likes

Love that black and rainbow!

2 Likes

I love that they are both sparkly. The bottom part that you altered looks great!

2 Likes

Fun! You can never go wrong with sparkles.

1 Like

Yeah both hats are great, but hard not to love the rainbow one :smiley:

1 Like

It is so cool that they picked out the yarn. You are a very cool auntie! I can especially relate; I have two nieces of similar ages. And they call me “auntie” also; their mom is Australian.

1 Like

How fun! I bet they love them!

1 Like