Silly Cards from Vintage Magazine Ads

Last summer, I went to a garage sale. They had a few really old knitting magazines from the 1950’s and early 1960’s, and were only asking 25 cents per issue. The pictures were kind of hysterical, especially the advertising photography.

I went through the magazines and selected some pictures, intending to make funny greeting cards with them. But never quite got around to making them.

When I saw the Handmade Greeting Card Swap, I jumped on it! It seemed like the perfect impetus to finally use those pictures. Here’s how they turned out:

The last one wasn’t from those magazines; it was a paper ad from a 1980’s print-industry magazine. I hand-colored the face and then embellished.

The “I really like you” card features photocopied vintage craft supplies rather than ad photos.

All of the cards feature some thermal embossing. I love the little extra boost of texture and shine that it gives each card. In many cases, I pasted the ad text inside the card.

The expressions on the ad models’ faces are SO funny! I was glad to be able to share them with some of my LC friends.

29 Likes

These are so fun…a look back at the past with a bit of crafty snark…

I was wondering how you got the tape measure to look so realistic! That is the card I got. Love it!

2 Likes

These all turned out so well! What a fun way to use the ads. I love mine!

1 Like

These are hilarious and delightful! I LOVE the puns you came up with for the images!

1 Like

Laugh out loud funny!

2 Likes

Your cards are wonderful! A perfect blend of craftiness and snark.

1 Like

Love them all! :smiley: They are so great!

1 Like

What a great way to give new life to these images-.they’re fantastic! My favorite is the one with the man with the pipe- their poses and fscial expressions! I wish I could hear the photographer giving them directions.

1 Like

I really like you.
But I could be biased.
:laughing: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:

4 Likes

These are hysterical!

1 Like

Omg. Hilariously awesome!!

1 Like

Thanks, guys!

1 Like

Fantastic and really funny! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

These are a riot!

1 Like

these are hilarious & awesome at the same time!
what fun

1 Like

Such clever quotes and layouts! I can write poetry and other stuff but it is a challenge for me to create snappy quotes. :slightly_frowning_face:

My favs are:

• Jokes About Plaid

• Fiber-Optics

• I Really Like You…But I Could Be Biased

4 Likes

Congratulations! :tada: :tada: :tada:
Your amazing (and humorous) craft is a Featured Project! Thank you for sharing your talent and creativity with us!

5 Likes

These are so fun.

2 Likes

Thanks so much! Really didn’t expect these to be featured; made my day!

5 Likes

I can’t believe I never came back and commented on these! But obviously I love everything about them.

Definitely gonna spring that plaid joke on my dad.

3 Likes