Simplified fitted mask pattern - UPDATED

Do you mean a filter to be inserted between the two layers of fabric? If so, look at @TheMistressT’s mask, she’s made one with a pocket for optional filter material and the side channel is not too many layers of fabric, it looks like it would gently gather and fit the face well.

1 Like

I mean an insert point beside the nose, under the eye. It is a part of the mask that doesn’t touch the face as often. By having that as the entry point, filters will be easier to lay flat without as much manhandling.
Not sure if that makes sense. I based the location on the least work part of the mask I’ve worn for years.

The buttonhole would be approximately where the valve that pow is, but on the inside.

3 Likes

I think I understand what you’re saying. The original HK mask pattern instructions show how to stitch leaving some openings around that area for optional filter insertion. After researching CDC documents detailing filtration of different materials, I don’t believe a removable filter is better than a permanent layer that can be washed along with the rest of the mask so I’ve started adding interfacing. I also think that less handling of the mask is better to avoid any contamination.

2 Likes

People catch on to the idea of a filter being helpful, so I thought that giving the option would be a good to that.

For myself, I have to wear a heavy duty filter when around exhaust or it will cause swelling in my airways. I’m hoping that this pattern would work as a cooler mask for mowing in the hot summer weather.

2 Likes

Now that’s a different story. The man is wanting something to wear when cycling and that would require particulate filtering. We both have masks like yours though, I’m not sure a fabric mask is ever going to be as good as one made specifically for pollution. I must wear one to ride, like you I’m very sensitive to so many things in the air I shouldn’t breathe in, chemicals, fragrances, car exhaust, etc.

1 Like

Maybe not as good, but for occasional use it should help in a more limited fashion.

Hubs was thinking of using it for pollen and woodworking. He will have to do his own research, but having the buttonhole is a nod to his sensibilities and cautious nature.

Thanks for chatting this out with me, it has helped me refine my needs. :smile:

2 Likes

@magpie I’m going to make some of these. Did you get a pdf done in the end?

2 Likes

@magpie Great tutorial no need for a pdf. Really good stuff on simplifying the pattern
Thanks xxx

2 Likes

I tweaked the pattern and it is so much better, don’t even bother with this one, honestly. I am working out a tutorial and a PDF or scan or whatever. There are 4 sizes and I’ve tested all but the smallest for fit. I am really pleased with how it’s turning out! I will share very soon.

3 Likes

Cool. I’ve had a request from a chemo nurse friend for some more. So I’ll hold off until I see your new pattern. Thanks for all the work you’re doing on this

2 Likes

@Magpie have you tried using tee-shirt yarn for the ties? My friend has behind ear hearing aids and the soft over the head ties would be more comfy.

2 Likes

I did makes some tshirt yarn, it’s 1" and a bit thick for behind the ears. I will try a lighter shirt or cutting the strips more narrow.
I found more elastic in my stash though, it’s a narrow sort but it’s less smooth than the rest I’ve been working with. Hopefully not irritating to wear!

1 Like

Have you seen the little bands that have buttons on each end to hold the elastic behind the head instead of on the ears?

3 Likes

Awesome info and tutorial. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you all so much for your feedback with this pattern and technique, it’s all be super helpful in tweaking and tweaking and now I think I’ve come up with the best fitted mask yet. It is very fast and easy to make, hopefully some of you will give it a try and post your feedback.