Sink Mat + Fleece=Snuffle Mat

I was destashing some fleece and other fabrics when I came across this project:
snuffle mat by @sheepblue

I sent some fleece for sheepblue to finish her mat, and then went down a YouTube rabbit hole looking for what it was and how it was made. I just happened to find a sink mat that I purchased 4 years ago. It didn’t fit my sink, but, of course, I kept it for “might come in handy someday”. :laughing: One of the videos used a sink mat, so I cut a bunch of strips and went to town (when in reality, I was supposed to be packing and destashing…)

Here is mine. My cats love it, but, knowing them, they will figure it out too soon and get bored with it, so I am sending it to my niece who has a very energetic young dog!

Front (You hide dry treats in the fleece strips!):

Back (I got a bit lazy and did not do all the verticals, but might do a few more before mailing it):

It was a relatively easy and fast project…no measuring, just a lot of knot tying.

Thanks for looking!

23 Likes

I love this idea. I never thought of it for cats! I have a couple curious ones who would probably find this fun!

2 Likes

What a fun project! Bet the pets all love it.

3 Likes

I have a sink mat for just this project! Peaches will try to eat the fleece, she’s a stuffy destroyer, lol. That stuff is pretty strong though, and I’ll tie good knots. Won’t it be fun watching fur babies snuffle for treats? lol, endless entertainment :smile:

4 Likes

That was fast!!
Did you cut the fleece with a rotary cutter?? Handy that you happened to have a sink mat that would work! :smiley:
I should make one for Jackson’s cat - she was rescued from a cat colony and we took her in. She lives just in the back area of Jackson’s room, Mike’s room, bathroom and hallway. Jackson has gotten her toys to keep her amused (including a mini-pool-table).

3 Likes

That turned out great! I love the riot of color :smiley:

3 Likes

I tied a square knot, which is a double knot. I think the sink mat is strong enough not to be chewed too badly. I would probably throw it into the washer but not the dryer…hang to dry. If it gets too gross, it is so cheap to make…Joann’s always has a bin full of remnant pieces…or just ask your friend Linda to send you some scraps (which I am doing right now!)…

4 Likes

That’s such a cool make - what a great use for scraps!!

3 Likes

So cute! I’m not sure what it says about me, but I think I could probably find more than a couple of minutes of entertainment poking around in this! Not with my snoot, though!

3 Likes

Awesome! Saving for “someday” pays off!! :laughing:

2 Likes

You are right there with me…I spent way too much time poking my fingers around, fluffing, squeezing…maybe for adults it would be good to hide wrapped candy or money… :grin:

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: If one wanted to fussy cut, it could be an entrancing I-spy game!

3 Likes

What a cool idea! @gozer i could see you potentially doing this! I might do it myself…

2 Likes

Very cool idea! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Oh come on, give 'er a sniff, lol.

Love this idea for a humane society.

3 Likes

Amir, can you direct me to the YouTube Rabbit Hole you went down? I searched for ‘sink mat’ but didn[t come up with anything close.
The more I think of it, the more I’m going to present the idea to a team of volunteer fun-raisers at 2 of my local humane societies. I’ll let everyone know if I can get it off the ground.

Thanks for the idea!

2 Likes

Such a cool project!

1 Like

You can do a search on Snuffle Mat, but this is the one I used…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg8NC_GBON8

There are also ones that use those huge anti-fatigue mats that you can cut up to make 9, which might be more economical for a group project. I got my flexible sink mat for about $1 at Dollar Tree. It would make a great fundraiser to sell these or make them for the shelter animals as well.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the further info. I can hardly wait to find the groups reaction.

Maybe I’ll make a human sized one so they can experience the fun too/
Sniff and Snack? LOL

2 Likes

I could probably sniff out Hershey Kisses or Oreo cookies quite easily… :laughing:

1 Like