Slow stitch kit swap?

There are quite a few slow stitch kits on Etsy. Would anyone be interested in swapping kits? This would be a fun, easy, and quick swap. It woud also be a great stash buster and lightweight to save on shipping! Below are a few examples and links to Etsy kits.

Chicken Kit

Vintage Lace Kit

Autumn Kit

4 Likes

That looks neat. I could build a kit from my stash. I’d be interested. Sounds like something that would give me lots of inspiration.

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking!
A) Digging through my own stash might make me come up with combinations that I had not considered.
B) Crafting from someone else’s stash might open up completely new ideas.
C) This also made me think of using slow stitch kits as gifts. Maybe give a completed project so they have an example and then also give them a kit so they can make something of their own.

4 Likes

I looked at some samples, and people even made some beautiful TM-type patches out of them.
I think this would give me an excuse to reorganize my scraps too.

1 Like

Maybe. I definitely have a TON of fabric I could assemble, but I don’t have any of the trimming type supplies (buttons, lace, rick rack, etc.). I don’t really use these materials. I’m sure I could find other things to substitute if that were acceptable to a future partner.

3 Likes

Sure! I think a nice variety of fabrics is all you need for a kit. It is fine if people have buttons and trims, but not mandatory. Plenty of people slow stitch with just fabric and thread.

4 Likes

Or, you could jazz up the fabric in your stash by doing some fabric manipulation , dye fabric with tea or coffee, tear/distress it in some interesting way, make fabric yoyos, or scrap fabric twine. I would like this to be a stash-busting swap and I think there are lots of ways to make a kit interesting just with the fabric you have on hand.

1 Like

This is a really fun idea!

2 Likes

Interesting…

What time frame are you thinking of?

We would be swapping kits? And then stitching and keeping or sending back?

Can you give more of your thought on this?

2 Likes

I don’t have a time frame in mind. I was thinking that the receiver would keep them. What are your thoughts?

1 Like

You could do the kit swap and then later do a related-but-separate slow stitch project swap to allow for those who will want to hoard the pretties to keep them lol

2 Likes

I guess keeping them would be the fun part for the different fabrics and goodies, but then you have to do the slow stitching. Combine with a stitchalong? I can see that the incentive to actually do the work would be low. Or a Stitch of the Week/Month prompt. Something to encourage us all. Start with a swap and then later anyone can join in with a swap (ask for crafters willing to do a swap mid process). Hmm, logistics…

4 Likes

I like the idea of a stitch along.

3 Likes

I like this idea, too. I totally 100% am the type of person to swap for a kit and then never do anything with it (please avert your eyes from the pile of fabric squares I received in the scrappy mail fabric swap). :see_no_evil:

I would happily fold this into the existing stitchalong for a month if no one wants to start a separate “slow stitching” stitchalong (though this would also be a great idea!). I could host a zoom for a slow stitching session as well…

7 Likes

I love this idea!

1 Like

I like the idea of a stitch of the Month or regular links to certain stitches. Might be fun and give us all great ideas.

3 Likes

Hm…this sounds like a separate stitchalong. I’d still be happy to host a post-swap zoom if someone starts this (or not) and if there’s interest of course.

1 Like

I think both a post-swap zoom and a separate slow stitch along sound like a great idea.

1 Like

I would be in for this if it works with my vacation schedule. Or happy just to join the stitchalong, as I absolutely do not need more scraps…

2 Likes

Maybe starting a craftalong first for people to get excited and out there with their projects (with or without related zoom sesh’s) then introducing the swap idea there to gauge further interest could be a road to travel here. Seeing as there are already members with active projects, sharing them collectively could be a way to lure in more players once swap time came around.

4 Likes